PDA

View Full Version : Neogonodactylus wennerae

Bpb
11/09/2015, 07:21 AM
A friend of mine recently got a shipment of TBS live rock and after a couple months has discovered a straggler Neogonodactylus wennerae. His tank is a nano and he wants to keep a lot of other inverts and some small fish so can't keep the mantis and we have no LFS within a few hours. I have a 90 gallon reef with 40 gallon sump with 10 gallon fuge chamber (mostly rock and Fiji mud, not much macro. Would I be able to house the mantis in my fuge or would that be a bad idea? Thanks in advance!

nmotz
11/09/2015, 12:10 PM
A 10g fuge is a great place for an N. Wennerae. Great beginner species too, good luck with your new favorite pet!

Bpb
11/09/2015, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the reply. They're fascinating critters and I use my fuge primarily for pod production rather than macro growing. Honestly my only concern would be my use of mud instead of sand but I am reading these are rock dwelling mantis rather than sand burrowing so I should be fine huh?

nmotz
11/09/2015, 03:47 PM
This mantis should try to actually hammer his way through your LR. I had an N. Oerstedii (same genus, different species, very similar mantis in terms of behavior) and the guy I sold it to says that it drills tunnels through his rock all day long. Get some macro and he'll use it to "disguise" the burrow. Very fun species from everything I've read/seen.

Calappidae
11/09/2015, 04:58 PM
N. wennerae is pretty adaptable. As long as they have a good peice of rock to mine a little cavity in (maybe 4 pounds or so) they're happy.

Mud vs. sand doesn't really matter much to N. wennerae. Like mentioned, they're a cavity dweller rather than a sand burrower like L. maculata, or something that likes coarse substrate such as O. scyllarus and P. ciliata.

Although they do go after pods so keep note of that.