PDA

View Full Version : heaters in mixing brute container

crankbait09
11/09/2015, 12:52 PM
I have two brute containers (32 gallon each). I'm having a hard time getting the suction cups that came with the heaters, to stick to the sides of the brute can. They stick nice and firm but eventually lose their suction and they end up floating on the surface.

anyone have any ideas on how to get these to either stick to the bin, or suspend these heaters in the center of the can so they are floating.

what are some things you guys do to fix this problem?

dbl
11/09/2015, 02:59 PM
Piece of PVC pipe cut slightly shorter than the height of the container, so it will fit inside the container, at an angle. Zip tie your heater to the pipe at whatever height you want it to be in your container.

crankbait09
11/09/2015, 03:14 PM
not a bad idea, thanks

jonwright
11/13/2015, 02:34 PM
eh. my 150 watt just floats around. Hasn't melted through the barrel yet. :D

skeeter_ca
11/13/2015, 02:48 PM
I stuck mine to a small piece of acrylic and let it sit on the bottom.

muttley000
11/15/2015, 12:34 PM
Mine has just been laying against the bottom for years with no issues.

DrawnToBeaches
11/15/2015, 03:05 PM
I just leave mine Un attached it works

akmzero
11/15/2015, 05:15 PM
I gave up after a week of trying to get those things to stay. Year later no issues with it floating. Same goes for my power head

mfinn
11/15/2015, 05:17 PM
Mine has always laid on the bottom of the barrel. Doesn't float.

RGS2
11/15/2015, 05:19 PM
Mine has just been laying against the bottom for years with no issues.

Same for me.

Baldguy
11/15/2015, 05:20 PM
Mine sits on the bottom with no issues.

davocean
11/15/2015, 06:48 PM
I actually have a 1,000 watt heater that lays on the bottom.
I wonder if anyone has actually had a heater melt through a brute.
I do move mine around, but I don't even see a hint of scarring or melting.

Gorgok
11/16/2015, 03:38 AM
Ever see the lighter to water balloon 'trick'? Much the same here except toned way down... I don't know which thermoplastic they are made of, but short of 350* F i don't think any of them will begin to melt (and many will laugh at 350*). Water around the heater would have to be flashing to steam for that to happen. Ever seen water boil around your heater? I haven't.

The only real question is if the heater could melt through a dry brute before it fails from being dry... Probably not with plastic heaters, maybe with glass ones, and probably with metal ones i'd say. But then again they all probably have plastic as spacers for the element inside, and those would melt first shorting the thing and failing... Someone want to test that for science?

jd371
11/16/2015, 08:49 AM
Mine sits on the bottom with no issues.

+1 no issues with it on the bottom.

woodnaquanut
11/16/2015, 05:53 PM
+1 no issues with it on the bottom.

Same here.

As long as the heater wasn't modified by Tim 'the tool man' Taylor you should be good to go.

Kyuss
11/16/2015, 11:54 PM
The only real question is if the heater could melt through a dry brute before it fails from being dry... Probably not with plastic heaters, maybe with glass ones, and probably with metal ones i'd say. But then again they all probably have plastic as spacers for the element inside, and those would melt first shorting the thing and failing... Someone want to test that for science?
I.. I mean a "friend" accidentally left the heater on once when I.. I mean he, did a water change and pumped the water out of the brute container. Glass heater, and yeah it melted about a 3/8" hole thru the side of the brute container. What an idiot! :worried:

toothybugs
11/17/2015, 08:54 AM
I mounted mine in a 1/2" styrofoam disc so it just floats around and does its own thing. Either tether the cord to it or if the heater has a head to it, secure that in and let the foam float it. I run a powerhead and heater in combination with the heater on full tilt for quicker heating so who cares if it fails in the 'on' as long as it doesn't crack I'm good. Run both pieces off a splitter plug or something similar. That way, when everything is ready to go, I have to pull out the powerhead and heater at the same time. Means no issues.

Larz_1
11/17/2015, 09:32 AM
I DID have a heater melt through the bottom of my Brute container - while it was full - I used some epoxy to repair the hole.

Now I have them loose in the container but the cord keeps them off the bottom. I'm still a bit nervous about it though.

Thinking about putting a dab of super glue on the suction cups before sticking them to the side .....