PDA

View Full Version : Where do you purchase macroalgae?

Hellion179
11/09/2015, 08:37 PM
Just starting a seahorse tank. It's going to be a 35g tank display with 20 gallon sump. It's currently cycling so a long way to go.

Planning phase I'd like to know where you order your macroalgae?

My plan is to make it a fully planted tank with macro and gorgonias. Either one or two pairs of one of the larger species of seahorses. I'm running a 150w MH.

Temps in the tank average about 80 degrees so that's going to be one of my biggest factors in selection of a species.

Looking forward to your responses.

rayjay
11/09/2015, 10:22 PM
Can't help with the Macro, and I'm gonna be a damper as far as keeping any seahorses at that temperature range.
While the majority of standard sized seahorses come from tropical waters and indeed in that 80°F range, it's almost impossible to keep them at that temperature in captive conditions like aquariums.
Usually it's recommended to keep them in water at 68° to 74° because nasty bacteria multiply exponentially with every rising degree above that, and, seahorses are EXTREMELY susceptible to bacteria infections often leading to their deaths.
Occasionally some have had success at that range but the odds are very great against it.
My Thoughts on Seahorse Keeping (http://www.angelfire.com/ab/rayjay/seahorsekeeping.html)

touchingstoves
11/09/2015, 11:27 PM
MH. Seahorses really don't need strong lighting, but I would get worried that the heat coming from the MH might be a bad thing. As far as where to purchase. Seahorse source.

Before you go further, how much research have you done with the seahorses? If you're a Newbie, try the H. Erectus. They are hardy and are great!

I have a macro gorg tank and keep my temps at 72. The gorgs don't mind it and my macro grow everywhere. Watch out tho for the Caulerpa species. They tend to go sexual if you don't prune it in the display tank.

Let us know on some of the adjustments for your tank! Happy to see someone liking seahorses!

vlangel
11/10/2015, 07:10 AM
I also have a macro algae, gorgonian tank for my seahorses. I have had good luck keeping both in temperatures 70-72 with no problem. I have erectus and have found them to be friendly and charming. I bought true captive bred from Ocean Rider but Seahorse Source is another excellant place to get a healthy captive bred seahorse and at a better price than Ocean Rider.

Hellion179
11/10/2015, 12:41 PM
Do you guys run chillers? 80 would be the max, I believe I could bring it down to 78 or 77 with a fan.

Otherwise do you have a suggestion on a chiller?

I've been doing some reading and this is my second sw tank. I had read that there were certain warm water species but I have not read about their sustained viability in regards to susceptibilities.

rayjay
11/10/2015, 03:04 PM
Most of the standard species sold to the hobby ARE warm water species.
However, they are able to deal with bacteria in the warm waters of the ocean where the water is always moving, but in our aquariums, the water is constant until you do water changes, and the ever present bacteria like for example, the vibrios, play deadly things with our seahorses, especially when the water gets above that 74° mark I mentioned.
77° or 78° is better than 80°, but the majority of us that have tried even at that range have failed in the long term. Not impossible, just unlikely.
In my case, I have installed central AC to manage the house and the tanks.
I've been keeping seahorses now for well over a decade and haven't come across any seahorse species that does well enough at higher temperatures to recommend doing so.

vlangel
11/10/2015, 10:08 PM
I have a Coralife chiller that helps get my temperature down to the low 70s.

Hellion179
11/11/2015, 08:20 PM
What size of chiller would I need for 45-50 gallons and what can I expect it to cost? Sucks because I have a brand new chiller that has never been used that came with my 150.

vlangel
11/12/2015, 08:48 AM
What size of chiller would I need for 45-50 gallons and what can I expect it to cost? Sucks because I have a brand new chiller that has never been used that came with my 150.
Mine is a 1/6th hp and I think it was rated for 100 gallons. It was $350 from my lfs. You can probably get away with a 1/10th hp. Usually each manufacturer has a chart that says what size tank they will cool.