PDA

View Full Version : heaters in the brute can

crankbait09
11/09/2015, 09:49 PM
when i purchased my Eheim heaters, they came with a mounting bracket that attaches to two suction cups. When I place the heater all the way at the bottom and mount it using the suction cups, the end of the heater is actually resting on the bottom of the brute can. Can this heater melt the can, although its sitting in water? Common sense says yes, but maybe with water being in the bin, it doesn't get hot enough to melt it....

I was going to use a piece of pvc and zip tie the heater to it, but then the zip ties would be touching the heater......which would put me back at the same issue....plastic melting.

anyone have experience with this same issue?

Frostyfishman
11/09/2015, 09:53 PM
I would also like to hear opinions about this.

oldbones
11/09/2015, 10:01 PM
I haven't had a problem with it, my heater is rattling around in the bottom of the brute.

no1bubba
11/09/2015, 10:19 PM
Used to just hang mine over the side and YES they do melt a brute!
I now have a plastic rod that fits across the top of the brute and attach the heater to dangle directly in the center. Silicon and duck tape will seal the melted area.

reefer1970
11/09/2015, 11:40 PM
Grab onto the end of the heater with your hand. OUCH! It's not 78 degrees. Thats why it isnt always on. You might get lucky and maybe you come home to a disaster. Its not hot enough to burn a 2x4, maybe make a bracket and drill a hole in it to slide the heater through.

billdogg
11/10/2015, 06:29 AM
Use a piece of pvc long enough to go across the top of the barrel. Tie the heater to it using the electric cord itself so that it is suspended someplace a couple inches from the bottom. A Clove Hitch would be the knot of choice for this. (yes, I was a Boy Scout) Quick, simple, secure.

hth

crankbait09
11/10/2015, 08:01 AM
using this same process, here is what I came up with last night......I think I'm gonna lower it a tad so its closer to the bottom. (ignore the heater bracket on the bottom, I will remove that when the water gets lower)

On a side note, do I need to place a powerhead in the fresh water bin for circulation? Since I am not mixing anything, is it needed?

billdogg
11/10/2015, 08:06 AM
Most will tell you no to the powerhead. OTOH, I keep one in mine going all the time. At least in my way of thinking, it keeps the water oxygenated and ready for use.

crankbait09
11/10/2015, 08:09 AM
The biggest difference I'm seeing right now......in the salt water bin where I have the powerhead running, the water is at 80 degrees and obviously circulates the water/heat.

In the fresh water bin that has no circulation, the water is colder and is taking longer to get to 80. sound about right?

MondoBongo
11/10/2015, 09:21 AM
I haven't had a problem with it, my heater is rattling around in the bottom of the brute.

same here, and no issues. i didn't bother securing mine, it just floats around doing whatever it pleases.

billdogg
11/10/2015, 02:39 PM
The biggest difference I'm seeing right now......in the salt water bin where I have the powerhead running, the water is at 80 degrees and obviously circulates the water/heat.

In the fresh water bin that has no circulation, the water is colder and is taking longer to get to 80. sound about right?

yes - the water in the immediate area in the fresh barrel is heating up so the heater turns off.

crankbait09
11/10/2015, 02:50 PM
I guess I need another small powerhead......

Dkuhlmann
11/10/2015, 07:43 PM
No it won't melt the Brute, I just let a heater and power head lay on the bottom when I mix water in a plastic Rubbermaid tub and never have any issues with the tub melting.

jbm421
11/10/2015, 09:26 PM
I came into my laundry room completely flooded from this exact thing. It will melt a hole completely through in the bottom of the can. I put a pump in the can and had the heater draped over the side so the heater set out towards the middle of the can.