PDA

View Full Version : Some advice needed!

ShannonLeigh
11/09/2015, 11:14 PM
Hey all! I'm needing a little advice. I've been running saltwater for almost 3 years now. Started with a 30gallon and within the first year decided I needed bigger. I now have an 80gallon and turned the 30gallon into the sump. Basically I'd like to know if I'm on the right track and if there is anything I need/should have. My set up is:

80 gallon with 70ish pounds live rock, bare bottom, 4 power heads (2 at back and 1 at each end), 48 inch LED light fixture. Sump has section where water drains into with spaghetti chaeto, skimmer section with heater-reef octopus 150-sss skimmer, section with nothing in it, return pump.

I have a few hermit crabs, about 10 snails, cleaner shrimp, coral banded shrimp, red fromia star, yellow tang, 6 line wrasse, royal gramma, azure damsel, benggai Cardinal, and a starry blenny.

My tank has been running this way for a year or so and what I'm wondering is what if anything should go in the sump section that is empty (between skimmer section and return pump) and if anyone has any recommendations for changes on anything. Christmas is coming and my family just gets me aquarium stuff!

uncleof6
11/10/2015, 01:37 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you fix it, it just might be broke when you are done...

The best single thing you can do for the system, is take out the chaeto (it is not the best macro to use anyway) and have your family buy you a 5 gallon home depot bucket, 60lbs of oolitic Aragonite sand, a pump and fittings to flow ~200gph over the top of the sand in the bucket and back to the sump, set it up and forget about it. Well, you could use an Instant Ocean bucket if you want... There is a reason for the size: it works. As for the empty middle section, chalk it up to lessons learned, head into the reef zone, and have a merry Christmas.... there is nothing you can put in the middle section that will do you any good; it would actually work against you.

Of course you could have them buy you a 150 gallon tank... or a 325... ...after three years I would think you are ready to move into the reef zone...

Just a note: Starting small, and working your way up will cost many more bucks, than just getting a good size tank from the get go. (Not that an 80 is a bad tank) The thing is, with each step up, you have to replace just about everything...

ShannonLeigh
11/10/2015, 04:08 PM
I have been looking at doing a bucket sand bed but just wasn't sure if it was a good fit or not. Will definitely be looking at where we can add that in now! I would love to have a bigger tank but the 80g was about the best size we could find that would fit in the space we have.

As far as the chaeto...is there a better macro I could be using or with the sand bed and protein skimmer do I even need a macro?