PDA

View Full Version : The bigger the better.

A.Astore
11/10/2015, 11:45 AM
So what started as a 90 gallon with a 29 gallon sump changed to a 100 gallon with a 33 gallon sump. Then it changed to a 120 gallon with a 50 gallon sump. Now we are going with a 150 gallon with a 66 gallon sump. Structural engineer came out today to do some calculations. (Im in the wrong profession because that wasn't cheap, even more so if he has to calculate how to fix it if it WONT hold). Hoping for good news since the house is only a year old. Better safe than sorry. That being said, I have to ask. Is anyone here happy with their current tank size? Or does everyone want a bigger tank?

rffanat1c
11/10/2015, 11:47 AM
Always want bigger but I'm aware that bigger means more money and maintenance. More salt, more lighting, more rock, more livestock, etc. plus a 10% water change on a 220 is more than double a 90. But yes would love bigger

Chris T.
11/10/2015, 12:36 PM
I have a 120 and would love a 200 + i just don't have the room lol

MeghanisradxD
11/10/2015, 01:03 PM
I feel like I've been upgrading since I started this hobby. I would kill for a 300-500 display, but the funds just aren't there. Especially ongoing costs.

I just upgraded from a 75 to a 150 and I really like the 6' footprint, so I think I'll be happy with it. For now anyways:spin2:

soulpatch
11/10/2015, 01:12 PM
There is a line for me where the maintenance on the tank starts to overwhelm my enjoyment time. I found it in planted freshwater to be roughly 180 gallons as I was constantly pruning plants to maintain my aquascaped look of an underwater forest.

I am just now stepping into a 150 for salt but figure 300 gallon will be my max. Any larger footprint and I either need a lot of automation or some serious time to keep up with everything.

davocean
11/10/2015, 01:27 PM
I think at first everyone wishes they had a swimming pool in their living room, and then the maintenance and cost factor sets in when they finally get that gigantic tank.
So it may depend on the individual, budget, amount of time you can allow for tank care.
For me it's not so much about the size as it is the footprint, I like something easy to scape, so front to back dims matter more to me.
So for example I will take a 120 over a 125 any day, and in fact that is where I am right now, loving my 120, gear for 4' tank is easy to come by, perfect amount of maintenance for me.
If you are a person dead set on tangs or other swim space needy fish then you may need to go bigger, 6' in length being the usual min.

ca1ore
11/10/2015, 02:27 PM
Absent practical considerations, of course bigger is better. I have a 265 in my room and I'm out of space; however, I don't really want the work that would go with an even bigger tank.

hobbzz
11/10/2015, 02:32 PM
Ive got a 300 and am planning to replace it one last time with a 12'x4'. 700-900 gallons depending on height. Bigger is almost always what people end up wanting. I've seen it for the last 16 years. That being said, my 300 only takes about an hour of work per week total. If you buy high quality equipment, you can get it used for at least 50% of retail and save a lot of money. Since it's high quality, no reason to worry about buying used. I've seen so many people spend 10k on a 75 gallon by getting everything new, including some cheap junk that doesn't last. My 300 took 6k. Also, a big price tag and lots of useless features don't always equal quality. Some people seem to think that.

Long story short...do your due diligence, buy high quality used equipment, and go as big as you want.

toothybugs
11/10/2015, 02:33 PM
I started with a 40B this time around and planned it to be a "seed tank" for a bigger system when we get a house; well, the Home Minister of Finance decided she didn't like being limited on the fish I could get - every trip to the LFS is "can we get that? or one of those? how about this one?" And it's always "No, my tank isn't big enough."

She decided she wants a 75. I did not complain. Though she still wants a Naso and a school of yellow tangs. :facepalm: Looks like I may end up with a pool in the basement after all. Personally, I'd like to keep it to no bigger than a 240 DT with a 90 display fuge and 125ish sump. Preferably a 5' 150 or 185 with the same fuge and sump.

m0nkie
11/10/2015, 02:35 PM
I REALLY like having some width in the tank. It makes rockscape easier and also give the tank a more 3D look. fish can swim toward you instead of just left and right.

So if I were to upgrade again, I'd get something at least 3ft wide. 2ft tall is the max I'd go again. Anything taller is just a pain to clean.. How long you want that tank depends on your budget and your schedule.

Reef Frog
11/10/2015, 02:41 PM
I feel the pain of being (almost) out of space for mounting corals. My next build will double the foot print of my current tank.

I feel with careful aquascaping, I can eek out even more usable real estate. My current design in a 65g looks OK IMO but I wasted a lot of space 6 years ago when I set it up.

billdogg
11/10/2015, 02:44 PM
I have a 120 in the living room. A 6' 150 is in the basement. The wife wants it up here too so she can have her "own" tank. (one guess at who'll be doing the water changes)

I've offered to put it in front of the non working gas fireplace, but she won't let me.
The only other way it'll fit is with an addition to the house, so it's just gonna have to wait.

Wazzel
11/10/2015, 05:06 PM
I am getting a bigger tank. Got a 60 now. The 120 is at home, but needs to be assembled. At some point I would like a 6ft tank. 24" tall and 30" or 36" wide. Maybe after the kids are gone and we downsize the house. Moving a 120 will be bad enough.

Ron Reefman
11/10/2015, 05:33 PM
I have no desire to go bigger or add more (I have 4 tanks now). My 180g reef & 75g hexagon (now a Gorgonian tank) are tied into an 8'x2'x18" sump/refugium/DSB that is about 180g. I be willing to change the shape of my standard 180g to something like a 6'x30"x20", maybe even 6'x3'x18".

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/RonReefman/P9270096_zps792f6410.jpg (http://s395.photobucket.com/user/RonReefman/media/P9270096_zps792f6410.jpg.html)

d-man
11/10/2015, 10:41 PM
55-60-125-200-560-800 down to 60 when I moved,-120-325-current new not fully set up yet 860.
Yes, bigger is better given ability to plan correctly...imo

Bent
11/10/2015, 11:02 PM
I'm good dude. I'm at the upper limit of what I can afford for maintenance. Sometimes I want bigger, but then I just learn to appreciate what I have.

Not to harp, but most of us here are very fortunate to not have to worry about starving, being beheaded, or shot. No one is really in dire straits or striken with poverty. I say stop jonesing for the next big thing, step back and take a look at your life, smile and appreciate the spoils of all that hard work you did to make something of your life.

Not that I'm directing some kind of lecture towards anyone, Just food for thought.

A.Astore
11/11/2015, 02:20 AM
Im sitting in Afghanistan as I read this so unfortunately getting shot at is something I worry about. Not often, but worry about it nonetheless. (I am not in the military, I work FOR the military). The tank is our splurge from this rotation. Plus the kids enjoy it also so I dont mind spending the money. Its something we do together as a family.

Bolivian Ram
11/11/2015, 03:04 AM
I'm happy with my current 90 gallon tank size. But of course I wouldn't mind getting a bigger tank. Only things stopping me is time, maintenance and finances.

Time is a big one. After coming from work I feel drained. Couple with the fact I have other priorities, I get to enjoy the tank like an hour a day on the weekdays and as much as I want on the weekends. Every two weeks I have to do 2 hour maintenance (20 gallon water change/cleaning). If I had a bigger tank, then I would be spending more time in terms of maintainance.

Of course finances is a big factor as well. If say I lost my job, would I be able to keep the tank afloat with a lower salary/temporary unemployment? Also I would have to spend more money upgrading such as more powerheads, more live rock, more sand etc. Depending on what I'm upgrading to like a 6 or 8 foot tank, that would mean new lights, new skimmer as well. If I were to upgrade to a 120 gallon 4 foot tank, it would be less drainage on my wallet as a lot of my current equipment is transferable and I'd only have to worry about more rock, sand, salt and water for water changes. That being said, where I live electricity costs are increasing rapidly so having a large reef tank is getting harder.

So currently I'm satisfied with my 90 gallon tank. Have a nice balance atm. But if I were to upgrade, I'd probably upgrade to a 120 gallon if there was a good deal on a tank and stand or maybe eventually a 180 gallon tank if money becomes less of a factor. These two standard tanks have the best reef dimensions imo.

kmbyrnes
11/11/2015, 05:47 AM
I saw a tank last week on CL that I wanted, but I do not have an open 20' run in my house to hold a 1600 gallon tank.
Never stop dreaming, but realize the practical limits.

I started cycling a 350g on Sunday, but in 27 months the progression for me has been 12g nano, 100 Reef, 125 FOWLR.
I gained experience with each new tank, aiming for the ultimate goal of the big room divider.

I am a bit concerned about the upkeep, but the desire to have large Angels and tangs should make the effort worthwhile.

anbosu
11/11/2015, 08:04 AM
I have a 360 gallon, and I think that's my max until I can set up a tank with a dedicated fish room. Trying to maintain it in the front room of our house is a pain.

rovster
11/11/2015, 09:28 PM
My tank has been up a year and already I want bigger. Unfortunately I just don't have the room for it. After seeing a bunch of large reef tanks in person (250-500gal) I'm pretty confident I need about a 300 gal display in my life at some point LOL!

Ron Reefman
11/12/2015, 04:58 AM
I'm good dude. I'm at the upper limit of what I can afford for maintenance. Sometimes I want bigger, but then I just learn to appreciate what I have.

Not to harp, but most of us here are very fortunate to not have to worry about starving, being beheaded, or shot. No one is really in dire straits or striken with poverty. I say stop jonesing for the next big thing, step back and take a look at your life, smile and appreciate the spoils of all that hard work you did to make something of your life.

Not that I'm directing some kind of lecture towards anyone, Just food for thought.

+1
Great sentiment my friend.