PDA

View Full Version : Dying Fish - Please Help

BoilerTribe4
11/10/2015, 05:41 PM
Hi All, I'm new to posting but I've enjoyed reading other posts here.

To make a long story short, about 4 months ago I was given an established (not sure for how long) 75 gallon setup because a friend was moving and had no room for it at their new place. For filtration it has a 20ish gallon sump with filter pads in the first chamber, bio balls in the second, and nothing in the refugium. It also has a bubbler for increased circulation. I would also guess probably 40-50lbs of live rock.

Livestock initially included 1 foxface, 2 clowns, 3 cardinal fish, 1 jawfish, 1 coral beauty angel, 1 blue spotted puffer, and two yellowtail damsels. Cleanup crew includes a couple hermits and snails.This seemed pretty overstocked to me, but my LFS said that was fine, and given the that the tank had been alright for a while in my friend's care, I believed them.

Everyone was happy and eating heartily and acting normal. Then, about 6 weeks in, the foxface stopped eating and died 3 days later. Everyone else in the tank was fine, Ammonia and Nitrites were 0 (Saltwater Master Test Kit), Nitrates were around 10. I did a 10 gallon water change and life went on. About two weeks later a cardinal died. Water levels still good. About two weeks later, another cardinal died, but water chemistry levels were still good(0,0,10). Then there were no deaths for a while and, against my better judgement, I added a black and white henochius 2 weeks ago. Within 48 hours the Coral beauty died. Ammonia readings were high after that death, so I did a 15 gallon water change and, at the advice of my LFS, gave the tank a couple days to rebalance - which it did. Never the less, three days later the henochius died with water levels still at 0,0,10. Two days later, a third cardinal died. This morning the blue spotted puffer died. Water levels still at 0,0,10.

With each subsequent death, every other member of the tank is acting completely normal. No gasping for air. No spots. No lethargy. Hearty appetites. Thus far only the foxface showed any advanced sign of distress.

I should mention that up until today I was measuring salinity with a cheapo hydrometer that was showing 1.021ish (hard to tell precisely on the clumsy needle). My refractometer arrived today and shows 1.025 which I know is high but is that lethal?

Currently I'm watching the remaining jawfish, damsels, and clowns eat and swim normally.

From reading other posts I'm wondering if this could be oxygen deprivation since I'm beginning to think this tank is overstocked and underfiltered? To remedy this I have ordered 2 800gph powerheads that should be here tomorrow. I also ordered a phosphate test kit to see if that's what could be amiss here?

Thanks for reading the long post, and any ideas would be very appreciated by a saltwater newb.