PDA

View Full Version : Dead live rock don't know best thing to do

brewtus
11/10/2015, 10:04 PM
I'm getting back in the hobby but never got rid of my rock so I have atleast 300 lbs of rock in 2.big brute cans . I was going to start cycling all the rock in tubs with. Rodi salt water a ev240 skimmer and heater and some damsel fish . I relize the live rock will only cycle but will not be alive till I seed it with some live rock. With that said I'm not ready to get a tank yet I would like to get. My rock and water situated for when I get a new tank I'm ready
Any opinions and knolage on this would be a great help
Eric

CStrickland
11/10/2015, 11:02 PM
What kind of shape is the rock in?
If it has a fair amount of dead stuff on it it might be easier to get a fresh start by stripping off the surface of it. It's pretty easy, there's an acid you buy from the hardware store and you add it to some water and dip the rocks for a while. It burns all that off as well as any nutrients your rock soaked up from the last tank.

After the dead crud and surface of the rock is stripped off you can start cycling it in a bucket until the tanks running, people don't really use damsels anymore though. It's easier to just add some fish food or ammonia and it does the same thing. Then you don't have a sick and aggressive damsel to worry about. The bacteria will come on its own from the air, or you can buy stuff in bottles, but live rock also has little sand critters and other healthy hitchikers in it.

Welcome back to the hobby! :)

brewtus
11/11/2015, 10:00 AM
It's a mixed bag of rock I was worried about the acid bath and then neutralizing it will live sand get the rock alive again I was thinking just thinking power washing the rock and then letting it dry and then get it in salt water

brewtus
11/12/2015, 01:57 PM
any one have any input on what to do

SeedlessOne
11/12/2015, 02:36 PM
Dont Do It!!!

I did the same thing and regret it sooo much. Had nothing but issues for a solid 12 months after starting the tank again.

Either buy new rock or cook the rock you currently have.

And "live" sand is a waste of money.

brewtus
11/12/2015, 04:08 PM
I was thinking the best way is to just cook it and deal with any issues with carbon and phosphate remover

SeedlessOne
11/13/2015, 08:04 AM
I was thinking the best way is to just cook it and deal with any issues with carbon and phosphate remover

Well in you cook it right you should have zero issues as the rock will be "dead" and have all nutrients removed in the cooking process. Dont skimp on this process.

brewtus
11/13/2015, 08:48 AM
I need to get a big tub for all this rock I was thinking about a out side pond any ideas

CStrickland
11/13/2015, 08:56 AM
The brute cans it's in now should work

SeedlessOne
11/13/2015, 09:55 AM
Yup brute trashcans all the way.

Or your local tractor supply has huge water containers like 100g for cheap.