PDA

View Full Version : planning to try raising occ clowns

james30ct
11/11/2015, 05:53 PM
Our clown just started laying eggs so I've begun looking into breeding them. Is this a fairly easy/inexpensive way to start or are there better/easier options?

http://reedmariculture.com/support_rotifers_culturing.php

HowManyClowns
11/11/2015, 08:37 PM
It's neither easy nor inexpensive, but that is the way to go :-) start with RG complete as a rotifer feed, it's the simplest to use. I recommend buying a large 32oz bottle and freezing half.

shifty51008
11/11/2015, 10:59 PM
That is good info on raising rotifers. But raising clowns is not cheap and takes alot of time.

Good luck and ask any questions you have

ThRoewer
11/15/2015, 02:30 AM
Depends on how many clowns you want to raise. I raised my first two Amphiprion melanopus in 1981 inside a small plastic tank that I hanged into the parent's tank.
I cultivated the rotifers and algae in 2 liter soda bottles. The most costly was the rotifer culture starter, everything else was cheap.

When I did it about a decade later on a more commercial scale I used specially designed tanks. With those I got up to 95% yield out of a hatch. The best thing was that I didn't need rotifers since my clown larva were able to take freshly hatched brine shrimp from day one. And due to the tank design I was able to switch them to frozen food around day 5. But this setup cost quite a bit.

The really costly part is the grow out. For that you need large tanks, feed a lot and do frequent water changes.