PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Question

BriGuyRN
11/12/2015, 08:57 PM
So my tank has been set up for two weeks at this point (60gal, Fish only). After I set it up, and right before I put in my fish, I added some cured ceramics from my LFS to the filter system (Fluvial G6) and some Biologic to the aquarium (Fluvial biological enhancer). I have three clowns and two chromis.

here are my levels:
PH: 8 Ammonia: 0.25 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate: 10

I'm checking daily, what should I be watching for? What do these numbers look like to you guys. Fish seem fine.

Thanks,
Brian

jrr98002
11/12/2015, 09:02 PM
Ideally, you should've waited for your ammonia to be zero before adding any livestock. Also, five fish at a time especially in a 60 gal is a lot. That may be where your ammonia is coming from, as you didn't have enough bacteria for that bioload. Slow down what you're doing and get that ammonia to zero. If you have some ammonia-reducing chemical, I'd suggest putting that in because .25ppm ammonia is quite toxic to those fish.

thegrun
11/12/2015, 10:13 PM
Also note that you are going to have problems long term keeping three clowns in one tank, they simply will not tolerate each other. Chromis also tend to kill each other off until only one is left in a smaller tank like yours. Please research you fish before you purchase the . If your local is recommending the fish you purchased you need to find a better store.

BriGuyRN
11/12/2015, 10:24 PM
Gotcha.
I just re-dosed with the beneficial bacteria to help with the ammonia and am going to do a 10 gallon water change tomorrow. So far the clowns are fine, all hanging out in a cave in the aquarium. I'll keep an eye on them and if they seem to be getting aggressive toward one I will separate him and solve that. As for the chromis, I bought three and one got beat to death yesterday. I regret buying them, and tried catching them to take back to my local store but they are FAST. We are new to the saltwater hobby and are learning as we go, but gotta say, discovering this forum has been a godsend so far.

Reef Frog
11/13/2015, 01:03 AM
Are you using live rock or are you relying only on the ceramic media for biological filtration?

firemountain
11/13/2015, 01:04 AM
Gotcha.
I just re-dosed with the beneficial bacteria to help with the ammonia and am going to do a 10 gallon water change tomorrow. So far the clowns are fine, all hanging out in a cave in the aquarium. I'll keep an eye on them and if they seem to be getting aggressive toward one I will separate him and solve that. As for the chromis, I bought three and one got beat to death yesterday. I regret buying them, and tried catching them to take back to my local store but they are FAST. We are new to the saltwater hobby and are learning as we go, but gotta say, discovering this forum has been a godsend so far.

Most beneficial bacteria in a bottle like Dr. Times or Bio Spira recommend turning off the skimmer and removing filter socks for 48 hours. I wouldn't run any carbon either. Doing a water change will help to drop your ammonia lvls, but you will be also flushing down your newly added bottle of bacteria.

To help combat toxic ammonia....I would dose Prime. The problem it's an ammonia binders like Pime is that it will skew your ammonia reading.