PDA

View Full Version : Bad luck (My fish are hurting each other)

loveaddressbox
11/14/2015, 12:07 AM
Well I got a gift box from a friend. It contained many things among them fish.
My point here is that all are peaceful species?
Or at least I suppose they should behave, but no...
So I need advice.

I got 2 N. Magnifica? (Firefish?) the smaller one almost bite off a fin of the other but I moved it to another part of the tank (I got a mesh wall to separate them)

6 Chromis Viridis (The top of some looks blueish, while some look just green)
All peaceful and happy... But one turn into a crazy something chasing everyone, so I remove it to the other side of the tank, then of the 5 left one is chasing the other 4 so I moved it with the other, now another one is chasing the ones that are left... I mean... What the... They are a fish for a single fish tank or something?

A landmower blenny is taking all the food :l
He also is chasing a yello watchman goby who is chasing a six line wrasse who is chassing a Pseudochromis T...? A purple basslet? who is chasing a firefish (who chased the other firefish)

Two Nemateleotris Atlantica?* Bury a feather duster... Literally over about 2 inches of sand, I take him out... But it wasn't there... It's an empty tube now... After a couple of minutes I find him under another rock... I leave him there?

I also got a tang, that I take to the most possible safe fish store on my city... They insisted it was a butterfly and then wanted to put it on a fish only tank... Most fish there seem small... So I guess... I hope I did the right thing?

I also got a turbo snail with barnacles?* I mean are those even real and alive?
They... They remind me of a file on a zombie game I play, would be epic if they take over the tank lol

I got also a small soft coral... Not sure... Sarcophyton... Maybe... So I just put it at the top of the rocks.

My point of all this... I get every fish out? I mean... I just can keep... What can I keep?
Is all the chassing going to end? Are they going to hurt each other?

Oh I also got two A.Ocellaris (Clownfish) they are super pretty but smaller than an inch.
I don't want anyone to hurt them :l They are cute...

Help.

Oh if I take most of those back to the store... They say I could take something instead... I wanted rock but it has an infestation of planarian worms and condylactis anemones... So... I don't know... They had a very pretty wrasse I suppose... White with black lines and a yellow head... A yellow head wrasse? H. Something... Something...

Help again... Please...

ThRoewer
11/14/2015, 01:33 AM
First off, fish or any kind of animal is never something one should give as a surprise gift.

Firefish: it looks like you got two of the same sex or a male and a female with the wrong sizes: smaller male with larger female. Usually this should be the other way around.

Chromis: for them to work in a swarm you need to have one dominant male and smaller females that are ideally also not of equal size.
Two males will fight until one has left the territory of the stronger (or is dead).
Two females of equal size will likely also fight to figure out who is the dominant one and next in line to become the dominant male.
It will more likely than not end in disaster if not selecting the right fish to start with: ideally as small as possible to ensure all are female + one larger one to be the dominant.

The rest is a bit chaotic. It seems you have way too many fish introduced all at once or in the wrong order.

Maybe start with how big your tank is and at which state it was before the "gift box"

A few pictures would also help to understand what's going on.

Sgebhardt0
11/14/2015, 01:48 AM
I am running into the same problems. I have a nice tang. But he is a jerk. I think I will have to trade him for a smaller one. He keeps attacking my mated pair of clownfish I hope the anemone eats him😜

Dmorty217
11/14/2015, 11:46 AM
Tank size would be the first question

loveaddressbox
11/16/2015, 09:27 AM
30 Gallons
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24058023
That's how it was.
I have new pics but I haven't download them from the camera.

MondoBongo
11/16/2015, 09:54 AM
you have WAY too many fish in such a small tank.

minimum tank size for even the smallest of tangs is 75 - 100 gallons.

your minimalist rock setup isn't helping either. there doesn't appear to be any places for fish to hide and feel secure. using a small amount of rock is OK, but you still should plan on some hiding spots and caves to help give fish places to go to if they are feeling stressed of threatened.

with that small of a tank a realistic stock list would be more like a pair of a clowns, and maybe a small goby. 30 gallons is very limiting, you'll want to stick to fish appropriately sized for a nano tank.

i'm not too familiar with feather dusters, but if it bailed out i would first suspect water quality. some corals have the ability to do what is called "polyp bailout" if conditions are not suitable.

my guess would be that with that many fish, in that new (and small) of a tank, you kicked off a cycle, an ammonia spike.

steps i would take:

1. test the water. if there is an ammonia/nitrite spike, do a large water change to try to get the levels down.
2. take the tang, chromis, and all the firefish back to a the fish store.
3. continue to monitor your water parameters with the clowns.

hotelbravo
11/16/2015, 10:16 AM
I suggest taking all fish back and then do research on what you can actually have with that small of a tank.

As for the feather duster they are filter feeders they require a certain flow to pick up on plankton in the water. If they do not have enough flow they will abandon their tubes in order or find a better spot to live.

ginpang
11/16/2015, 11:28 AM
I was reading your post and thinking sounds like not enough space for everyone....
You should listen to all of the advice given above!

loveaddressbox
11/18/2015, 12:04 PM
Hey, thanks for reply, I have been trying to send the fish to local places but there's not many aquriums around and all have horrible fish tanks, all withoutkidding had some disease and or bited fins.
So I spend the whole Sunday looking for locals with fish and give some away, others I exchange at a local fish store, that well... Seems mostly okay...

I didn't had time to "research" properly, as it was a gift.
But I really hope that nothing bad happens. Well besides what has already happen.

I haven't find a test kit, I want to order one online but haven't had cash for it, so i'm getting "free test" at the fish store I lend some fish.

Thanks for reply.

leemosh
11/18/2015, 05:58 PM
I also really like your round tank! It's very unique looking.

It sounds like you really want your fish to have healthy lives, so good for you for that. Having lots of fish looks nice, but they will always fight if they don't have their own space. You should figure out what kind of space each kind of fish needs. And make sure that you give the fish enough places to hide when they need to. More rock will let you make some some caves.

Good luck deciding which fish to keep!

Dkuhlmann
11/18/2015, 06:48 PM
Why don't you keep just the two clowns for now until you get more rock and get your tank under control. I've been trying to help you but you never sent me the messages I asked you for information on. What did you do with the anemone?

loveaddressbox
11/18/2015, 11:38 PM
Why don't you keep just the two clowns for now until you get more rock and get your tank under control. I've been trying to help you but you never sent me the messages I asked you for information on. What did you do with the anemone?

I give the anemone to a guy with a tank with corals, was the only option, all local fish store anemones are dieing and they have horrible lights.
So I take it with me and hunt a local guy that had a decent tank.
He didn't seem very smart and was very pretentious, but at least his tank looked fine. Recently I contact him asking to go visit the anemone and he just reply it is not a dog one go to visit... So I insist and he say he was busy... I'm still insisting... Afterall he either sends me a pic or block me...

Dkuhlmann
11/19/2015, 04:51 AM
You would think he would be more accommodating since you gave him an anemone. :hammer: Some people are just that way

loveaddressbox
11/19/2015, 12:34 PM
You would think he would be more accommodating since you gave him an anemone. :hammer: Some people are just that way

Just wanted him to be more understanding, I wasn't going to have tea with him or someting...

But yeah I guess... Some people are that way.