PDA

View Full Version : Ro/di filters

WaReefer458
11/16/2015, 03:39 AM
So I bought a 100gpd 4 stage ro/di filter years ago and only used it for about 3 months before breaking the tank down and storing everything. My 40 has been up and running for a few months and just got sick of lugging water jugs from my Lfs for water so I decided to buy a bucket of salt and new filters/membrane. I also bought a dual tds meter. My question is I've never changed filters on one before but do I need to run a bunch of water thru to " break in " my filters? My tds meter is reading 140-150 going in and 0 out. I ran 3-5 gallons thru it with no change so I went ahead and filled a jug up. Should I dump it and run 20-30 gal thru it or should it be fine to use in my tank?

Serega
11/16/2015, 05:18 AM
If your TDS are reading 0 you should be good to go. Just keep monitoring the output, if it changes from 0 maybe time for new filters or DI resin.

seamonster124
11/16/2015, 08:58 AM
Filter replacements instructions say make 1-2 gallons and discard before use.

If your TDS is zero you are good to go. I would keep replacement filters handy and swap out as needed. You can get a box full of sediment/carbon replacement off ebay for $30ish

Vinny Kreyling
11/16/2015, 09:04 AM
Carbon Block filters need to be rinsed before being used so any fines don't clog the membrane.
Disconnect the hose from the carbon to the membrane @ the membrane end & run the unit until the water runs clear then reconnect & you are good to go.

skeeter_ca
11/16/2015, 09:56 AM
Also it sounds like one of your TDS sensors is mounted before your membrane. I would remount it between the membrane and DI unit and add a flush line to a drain after the sensor and before the DI unit. Then when you turn on the unit you can flush all the contaminates out for about 2-5 minutes before they go into the DI resin and use it all up. That will probably increase the life of the DI resin considerably.