PDA

View Full Version : Food for panther grouper & Snowflake eel

mikedawg8898
11/16/2015, 12:14 PM
Hey guys I'm feeding my grouper and eel a piece of squid in the morning and a piece of shrimp in the afternoon, is this enough variation for their diet or should I add more different types of food? Thanks in advance

JaihWill
11/16/2015, 12:25 PM
I am fairly new to the hobby but it doesn't sound like that's enough for either. All depends on the size of the piece as well.

Again I could be wrong

toothybugs
11/16/2015, 12:28 PM
Try feeding them twice what you are and see how they respond. Worst case, you have to pull a chunk of chow out of the tank. I used to only need to feed my snowflake once every 2-3 days but that grouper is going to get big and big fast. It probably wants to eat.

Work chunks of clam and oyster in to their diets too.

mikedawg8898
11/16/2015, 12:35 PM
I am fairly new to the hobby but it doesn't sound like that's enough for either. All depends on the size of the piece as well.

Again I could be wrong

I usually feed them pieces of squid that are about an inch wide both ways and a whole shrimp that is about an inch and a half long, when I feed this to them, I cut it up into mouth sized pieces and my grouper eats most of it but I put some into the live rock my eel stays in so my grouper can't get to it

mikedawg8898
11/16/2015, 12:36 PM
Try feeding them twice what you are and see how they respond. Worst case, you have to pull a chunk of chow out of the tank. I used to only need to feed my snowflake once every 2-3 days but that grouper is going to get big and big fast. It probably wants to eat.

Work chunks of clam and oyster in to their diets too.

I'll try feeding them more today and I'll post how they do, my panther grouper is only 4-5 inches long and my snowflake eel is about 8 inches long and I'll ty the clam and oysters as well

CStrickland
11/16/2015, 01:34 PM
It isn't uncommon for a panther to triple its size in a few months of captivity with proper care. He will eventually be over a foot long. That's why they need tanks that hold a couple hundred gallons from the start. Also, larger tanks for predators give more wiggle room for your water parameters since they are messy eaters and big poopers so filtration can be a challenge.

Sadly for the panthers, their adult coloration is less striking. Because they are not valuable to an lfs once they fade to brown and there aren't that many large tanks around to take them, they can be difficult to get rid off when they outgrow the tank. IMO it's one of the fish that gives the hobby a bad name, taking wild animals from their homes to keep in a tiny box until they aren't cute anymore and then flushing them isn't ok.

Hopefully that's not your plan. They are a great pet if you can give them what they need

JamesHolt
11/16/2015, 06:40 PM
My panther is about the same size, he gets two chunks of Mysis about the size of a stamp every day, just break it off the sheet and toss it in...
I also toss some mollies and guppies in every payday,, interesting fish to watch while he is hunting...

igadget56
11/16/2015, 08:13 PM
I feed my snowflake squid, octopuus. Shrimp and krill

mikedawg8898
11/16/2015, 09:14 PM
It isn't uncommon for a panther to triple its size in a few months of captivity with proper care. He will eventually be over a foot long. That's why they need tanks that hold a couple hundred gallons from the start. Also, larger tanks for predators give more wiggle room for your water parameters since they are messy eaters and big poopers so filtration can be a challenge.

Sadly for the panthers, their adult coloration is less striking. Because they are not valuable to an lfs once they fade to brown and there aren't that many large tanks around to take them, they can be difficult to get rid off when they outgrow the tank. IMO it's one of the fish that gives the hobby a bad name, taking wild animals from their homes to keep in a tiny box until they aren't cute anymore and then flushing them isn't ok.

Hopefully that's not your plan. They are a great pet if you can give them what they need

I have him in a 75 gal for now until i finish my 300 gallon tank diy tank build, then everything is being transferred to that tank. Also im not one of those people that will just give a fish away when its color fades, if i buy a fish, im keeping it til it lives out its full life :)

mikedawg8898
11/16/2015, 09:15 PM
My panther is about the same size, he gets two chunks of Mysis about the size of a stamp every day, just break it off the sheet and toss it in...
I also toss some mollies and guppies in every payday,, interesting fish to watch while he is hunting...

yea he is amazing to watch swim around the tank and ive even seen him use his pectoral fins to "walk" around the tank. Hes very interesting to watch

JamesHolt
11/16/2015, 09:37 PM
Mine hangs vertical looking down, cruises around pestering the few hermits he cant fit in his mouth, sucks the spaghetti worms up when he sees them .. The four four-stripe damsels in the tank have learned to hide when he is cruising,, the clownfish on the other hand, decided to be a badass and challenge him,no more clownfish...
I need to go ahead and order my marine betta so he gets big enough to be a tankmate...