PDA

View Full Version : Question about the life on the TBS rock

BrokenSpoke
11/16/2015, 01:07 PM
I am planning on ordering some in the next month and have a question. I keep seeing fairly similar posts "As everyone says the life on the rocks is amazing, tons or barnacles, sponges, cucumbers and crabs." regarding the amount of life that comes on the rock. I have had saltwater tanks for many years but have never kept barnacles, sponges, etc. My tanks have been fish, LPS, snails, crabs, and shrimp.

My question is, with all the assorted new life that will be introduced, what do you feed them to keep them healthy? Do I need to start a routine of food for the filter feeders and if so, what works best?

Bogue Chitto
11/16/2015, 08:46 PM
The ones that are healthy will live when you put them in your tank, with proper lighting and maybe an additive or 2. IMO it's not that complicated as a lot of stuff will grow out of the rocks as time goes on.

figuerres
11/16/2015, 09:19 PM
I am planning on ordering some in the next month and have a question. I keep seeing fairly similar posts "As everyone says the life on the rocks is amazing, tons or barnacles, sponges, cucumbers and crabs." regarding the amount of life that comes on the rock. I have had saltwater tanks for many years but have never kept barnacles, sponges, etc. My tanks have been fish, LPS, snails, crabs, and shrimp.

My question is, with all the assorted new life that will be introduced, what do you feed them to keep them healthy? Do I need to start a routine of food for the filter feeders and if so, what works best?

Stuff like clams, muscles, barnacles and sponges are filter feeders, so if the water has a bit of organic matter for them they get what they need, some liquid supplements for corals are also good for the filter feeders, ones that simulate 'marine snow' are good from time to time.
Also make sure on getting sponge from the bags to the water that no air gets into the body of the sponges, air pockets can start tissue death in them.
I kept mine submerged while I took them out of the bags.

adamwheel
11/19/2015, 01:58 PM
I received mine in late May. The darker red sponges have all died at this point. The lighter orange large tree sponges and yellow ball sponges are still going strong.

I honestly think that all the diversity helps your tank to mature quicker. The amount of coraline I have already is pretty impressive.

Btw, I agree that you probably don't need to feed a great deal unless you want to focus on trying to keep the sponges going. That could be a challenge.

Cheers and good luck,

Adam

Socaltoaz
12/06/2015, 12:57 AM
Would this live rock be good to put in the sump?

Patrick Cox
12/06/2015, 08:54 AM
Will the die off of the sponges cause any problems?

liverock
12/09/2015, 06:22 AM
Will the die off of the sponges cause any problems?

This is what to expect...using the Package...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2537453

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com