PDA

View Full Version : Good water tester and supplements?

GregJames
11/17/2015, 06:30 AM
I am new to the hobby, so please bear with me.
I'm looking for a good digital water tester that'll give me good read outs for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ect. I've come to learn the hard way that water chemistry is the most important part of tank setup, and I just don't feel that my test strips are giving me the adequate information. I catch myself comparing the colors and arguing with myself as to which one it more closely resembles.
Also, what are some good brands of supplements to get the tank started?

(29gal tank, live sand, 30lbs of live rock arriving next week)

shellz
11/17/2015, 12:59 PM
Salifert test kits are pretty decent. Don't get to hung up on exact numbers/colors you will go crazy. Your aquarium animals are the best at letting you know when something is off, so pay attention to their behavior as well. Check out Marine Depot on-line they have quite a selection to choose from....happy reefing

srope
11/17/2015, 01:13 PM
I agree with Salifert for your test kits as a wise choice. All of the test strips are junk imho. I think if you wait for your live stock to show signs of trouble it's too late to help them. Testing to stay consisant is key in this hobby.

bertoni
11/17/2015, 03:44 PM
For digital meters, the Hanna phosphate and alkalinity meters seem okay. A pH meter sometimes is handy, too. Salifert and IO kits have worked well for me.