PDA

View Full Version : Yellowhead Jawfish

daedalus8311
11/17/2015, 11:31 AM
I recently added another yellowhead jawfish to my nanocube 28, at first very shy but last two days have been interesting, now paired up sharing same tunnel cave, and today "pits" have shown up not far from their home, perfect circle and dug down. I've bred too many to count freshwater stuff, but this is quite entertaining to witness. With new 75g reef about to begin this I'm digging alot :-) anyone else have them to witness this?

ginpang
11/17/2015, 12:15 PM
Do you mean that they're making multiple entrances and exits to the same tunnel system?

When I had a pair some years ago they had a main entrance and a back exit I'm guessing for emergencies but they had a pistol shrimp to help them maintain the den.

Bogue Chitto
11/17/2015, 04:06 PM
I have one and it will go out in the middle of the floor and dig a hole. I don't know why, as it has a den already. It is always active moving the sand though.

ginpang
11/18/2015, 05:35 PM
I know mine took awhile to settle in.
They had first made a burrow hidden in the back and a few weeks later they moved to the front and made a bigger better den and stayed there for about 2 years until I had to empty the tank because it was leaking. They definitely liked it better in front where they could observe everything and everyone . Made them secure enough to spawn every few weeks...

Perhaps he's looking for a better spot where he can see everything that's going on around him/her. Other than that sometimes they hit bottom fast ( plus they see their reflection on the glass [emoji33]omg!!! ) and go try to dig elsewhere to get more " depth" .
Have you tried putting more crushed coral?