PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding the possibility of using 2x Skimmers

KMS.Kyle
11/17/2015, 02:01 PM
Hello - I have an odd shaped 55 gallon saltwater tank (Cleair Aquatics) and am new to the hobby (first week owning a saltwater that I transferred from previous owner)

It's 31 long, 32 height, 14 deep - all I can seem to have is the smaller skimmers that fit inside and I was wondering if in the future when I get more coral and more than the 6 fish it currently has (don't worry, its cycled) - would getting a 2nd one be beneficial? I have so much space at the top left and right of the tank - I don't really see why I shouldn't get one.

I have the opportunity to buy another Tunze Nano doc 9004 for $100 and was thinking about it but also was thinking it may be over kill.

oscarinw
11/21/2015, 08:18 AM
It definitely wouldn't hurt.
My personal advice to you is install a sump instead. If you can drill the tank, great. If not, an overflow box would do the trick. That way, you can clear up the display space, make it more aesthetically appealing, increase your volume size, oxygenate your system more efficiently and perhaps move to 1 larger skimmer instead of buying one now.

Arkayne Reefer
11/21/2015, 12:19 PM
Definitely agree on the sump advise and 1 large skimmer, but if you don't want to go that route 2 small skimmers will do the trick too just don't put them next to each other otherwise one will just skim the already skimmed water

rt67ghy
11/21/2015, 01:21 PM
I'm actually using 2 skimmers in my sump because the low height under my tank doesn't allow one large skimmer and both are skimming fine; I have them in separate chambers.

anthonys51
11/21/2015, 01:41 PM
my advice is wait. i have a 57 gallon tank with 9 fish 9even 2 tangs) and 5 shrimps packed with rock and corals. i feed 2 cubes of brine shrimp or mysit a day, snow the whole tank once a week with zoa and photo plankton and feed 1 2 ounce cup of chopped shrimp to my corals a week. i bought a gfo and carbon reactor and a over sized skimmer. spend a lot of money. currently i dont even use my gfo or carbon reactor now and my skimmer barely produces anything. i have no algae or nitrates or phosphates to speak of. so my advice is each take is different . don't panic and buy everything under the sun. because your tank might not need it. in the beginning test once a week, try to go slow with feeding and always add slowly and after a few months you should get into a good routine . just make sure you keep up with the daily maintenance

anthonys51
11/21/2015, 01:47 PM
also ps those hang on the back skimmer stink

CStrickland
11/21/2015, 04:32 PM
1 decent skimmer is vastly superior to 2 subpar ones. I don't think you'll take more stuff out, rather you'll just be emptying the cups less frequently b/c that stuff is split into 2 collection cups.

Also, it doesn't look great to have a lot of equipment hanging off your tank. I'd see how it goes. You'll probs add a sump within the next year, might as well save this $ toward getting a good skimmer then.