PDA

View Full Version : What type of algae is this?

Dundermifflin
11/17/2015, 03:02 PM
What type of algae is this and is it normal for a FO tank (120g)? I have a skimmer, a carbon reactor, a GFO reactor, and a large Emperor Aquatics UV 40 sterilizer. Salinity 1.20, temp 78. NO2/NO3/NH4 levels all good.

Thanks.

cloak
11/17/2015, 03:11 PM
How old is the tank? Does it come of the rocks easily? If so, then it's probably just Cyanobacteria.

http://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

Gundo5000
11/17/2015, 03:13 PM
Looks like the tank is relatively new? How is your flow?

jrr98002
11/17/2015, 03:14 PM
I'd give a +1 for cyano too, but if that's all you've got I wouldn't sweat it regardless.

Dundermifflin
11/17/2015, 07:43 PM
The tank has been running for about a 9 months. It only gets on the rocks. Had it a couple months ago and took the rocks out to stay in the sun for a couple days and it burned off. The water flow seems fine. The temp fluctuates between 76-80, but mostly around 78. Could it be a flow issue? Would I be better off directing the two intakes down towards the bottom of the tank more? Should I get a small powerhead to put towards the bottom of the tank?

Other than removing the rocks out of the tank, is there something that would clean it off the rocks-are there specific fish that would clean it off? Should I change the food (been feeding New Life Spectrum all purpose flakes and Ocean Nutritions formula II pellets). Have two small blue tangs, one small yellow tang, and one ocellaris clown. I feed the tank once a day (at night).

Dundermifflin
11/18/2015, 10:24 AM
Anyone?

cloak
11/18/2015, 11:25 AM
I would just treat it the same way you would the red Cyanobacteria. Keep your Phosphates/Nitrates low, increase the circulation in the tank & manually remove as much as you can on a regular basis. Sometimes you can siphon this out with a hose, but if that doesn't work then just get a brush and use this on the rocks. (right before a water change) Eventually it should just go away. GL

http://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide