PDA

View Full Version : Frame build

RayAllen3422
11/18/2015, 07:20 PM
I am thinking about building my own frame for my fish tank. Any things to consider when doing this or is it better to just go with the stock stand?

rfurst
11/18/2015, 08:24 PM
Guess it mainly depends on your carpentry skill.

I have always built mine since it is way cheaper and I could make them more sturdy than factory and size them the way I wanted. So, if you have even basic carpentry skills, I'd build and save money for something else. Many examples on DIY threads to see examples but also pretty easy to come up with design on your own.

One caveat... if it has to go in a room that requires very nice furniture grade stand, may need to buy depending on your carpentry skills.

'tis my experience anyway.

RayAllen3422
11/18/2015, 09:19 PM
Carpentry skills shouldn't be too much of a problem. I can make stuff look decent. Here is a pic of a bar I built. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/18/bd2b7cb2c774f3f7bb512377d84e4a5b.jpg

Reef Frog
11/19/2015, 02:36 AM
Well if you can build that I think you can handle an aquarium stand! That would be like a trained chef making a cheeseburger.

When planning it out, I'd have the sump & skimmer on hand to make sure they fit correctly. I'd paint the interior white for better visibility and have good ventilation and a dry compartment for a controller/power bar and chiller if applicable.

I think it would be slick to have a hidden table surface that could slide in and out on a track system. This would be handy during certain times when doing maintenance, mounting frags etc.