PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Herbie Method. Please Help

AUFishGuy
11/19/2015, 06:31 PM
So I'm running the Herbie method on my 90 gallon reef ready. I'm using an eheim 3000+ compact return pump. About 2 weeks ago I come home and the overflow is half empty, we'll below the E drain. So I closed the gate valve more to bring it back up. We'll I come home today and same issue, the water is a few inches below the E drain.

So the only thing that could be causing this is that the return pump is decreasing it's output, correct? The pump is only a month and a half old and I thought eheim werected supposed to be quality pumps.

Could anything else be the issue?

thegrun
11/19/2015, 06:51 PM
I agree the pump is delivering less water, have you cleaned the pump lately? It could have calcium deposits on the shaft, the intake grille could be clogged or even an issue with the plumbing being clogged or obstucted.

oscarinw
11/23/2015, 09:55 PM
The compacts don't carry the same reputation as the 1262 or 1260. In fact I have read that the compacts are manufactured by a different company altogether which might have to do with your problem.

j0tca
11/28/2015, 01:42 AM
The answer is that your pump flow rate is changing. I've used this method for years and it isn't perfect because your pump flow rates always keep changing. Make sure you have an easy method of controlling return flow. Being able to mark positions on your return flow valve I have found to be really useful as well. It becomes a reminder for when to clean your pumps.