PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on first tank.

astroroxy
11/20/2015, 02:30 AM
Hello,

As I am new to the hobby was wondering if I could get some feedback for my tank.
First a few questions:
What are those little white things in my sump and overflow?Pics attached.
I have tried to search but no results. They are in dark places.

How does my new RBTA look? I am tempted to move it as it can not fully open at its position. My light is an Orbit marine led Is this fine? How do my other corals look and what are they? Seller had no idea what they are.

My clownfish are pigs. I have tried to spot feed my diamondback but they always steal it. Any suggestions or do you think he is ok?

What is that little dragon like fish?

Thanks!
Photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/Fu8Vw7wiQWuZkthj8

Sapelo
11/20/2015, 05:31 AM
Welcome to the addiction!

1.The little white things (I'm assuming what we see on the pipe?) look like some sort of sponge to me (probably pineapple but I'm having a hard time telling for sure), pretty common in new tanks and harmless.
How new is your tank? Looks like you have some coraline started on the glass which is nice.

2. Your RBTA does look crunched into that corner BUT they make their own choices so don't try to move it! If it wants to move, it will.

3. Your corals look like a mixture of zoas and a hammer in that very last picture. I don't know anything about your lighting and would suggest you do some research to make sure it has enough power for your RBTA. Everyone looks open and happy, but lighting is probably the most expensive and one of the most important features in dealing with nems and coral so check it out.

3. Yep. Clownfish are pigs, the challenge for you is learning to feed them in one corner and the others somewhere else. How large is your tank? A pair of clowns usually wants to control 30 gallons (or more -- mine are freaks and think they own 295 gallons of my 300 - ???).

4. The little dragon fish looks to be a ruby dragonette. They really are an "advanced" fish usually requiring an established tank with plenty of live pods for food. I would be the most concerned about him. I'm assuming he eats prepared foods??? but you'll need to do whatever you can to supplement his diet if that is indeed what you have.

Over all your tank looks clean and well set up.Good luck!!

Dkuhlmann
11/20/2015, 05:32 AM
I don't see any white things you are talking about, but from the description sounds like some type of pods. But also could be Pineapple sponges, like I said can't see what you're talking about

RBTA looks good, don't move it let it go where it wants, it will anyway

The little dragon fish appears to be a Red scooter Blenny, they only eat pods for the most part. Need to see if you can get it eating other foods if not it will likely starve to death if you don't have enough pods for it to eat. They are also called Dragonette's

The two button types appear to be zoa's but I don't keep up on the different ones as there are hundreds :lmao:

I'm not sure on the white tentacle one, just not sure. Could be a torch but usually the tentacles are longer and thinner, so I doubt it's a torch. Frogspawn has similar fat tentacles but have more tip ends per tentacle. It also could be a hammer that doesn't have hammer shaped tentacle ends. I've got one that is this way. Just hard to say.

astroroxy
11/20/2015, 02:39 PM
Welcome to the addiction!

1.The little white things (I'm assuming what we see on the pipe?) look like some sort of sponge to me (probably pineapple but I'm having a hard time telling for sure), pretty common in new tanks and harmless.
How new is your tank? Looks like you have some coraline started on the glass which is nice.

Thanks! Yes the white things are on the pipe. My tank is about 1 year old, but now I am adding fish, coral, etc. I just had the 2 clownfish for a while.

2. Your RBTA does look crunched into that corner BUT they make their own choices so don't try to move it! If it wants to move, it will.

I originally had it on top and it moved around the corner. Can't even see it at night. I guess if it does not like it it will move again. Bubbles on the tips means its healthy right? When should I start feeding it? Also any recommendations? I hear scallops are good.

3. Your corals look like a mixture of zoas and a hammer in that very last picture. I don't know anything about your lighting and would suggest you do some research to make sure it has enough power for your RBTA. Everyone looks open and happy, but lighting is probably the most expensive and one of the most important features in dealing with nems and coral so check it out.

I currently have http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/orbit-marine-fixtures/orbit-marine/
Is this good?

3. Yep. Clownfish are pigs, the challenge for you is learning to feed them in one corner and the others somewhere else. How large is your tank? A pair of clowns usually wants to control 30 gallons (or more -- mine are freaks and think they own 295 gallons of my 300 - ???).

I have a 40g. I have tried to feed in different spots, and they are really fast!
Any recommendations? Also excited, my diamondback came up to get some food today! Is it possible to over feed them? If I put enough food they eventually slow down and let some drop.

4. The little dragon fish looks to be a ruby dragonette. They really are an "advanced" fish usually requiring an established tank with plenty of live pods for food. I would be the most concerned about him. I'm assuming he eats prepared foods??? but you'll need to do whatever you can to supplement his diet if that is indeed what you have.

Great the guy said it is easy care:uhoh2:. Any recommendations for supplements?

Over all your tank looks clean and well set up.Good luck!!
Thanks!

astroroxy
11/20/2015, 02:48 PM
I don't see any white things you are talking about, but from the description sounds like some type of pods. But also could be Pineapple sponges, like I said can't see what you're talking about

RBTA looks good, don't move it let it go where it wants, it will anyway

The little dragon fish appears to be a Red scooter Blenny, they only eat pods for the most part. Need to see if you can get it eating other foods if not it will likely starve to death if you don't have enough pods for it to eat. They are also called Dragonette's

The two button types appear to be zoa's but I don't keep up on the different ones as there are hundreds :lmao:

I'm not sure on the white tentacle one, just not sure. Could be a torch but usually the tentacles are longer and thinner, so I doubt it's a torch. Frogspawn has similar fat tentacles but have more tip ends per tentacle. It also could be a hammer that doesn't have hammer shaped tentacle ends. I've got one that is this way. Just hard to say.
Do you have any recommendation on the Dragonette? Thanks!

Dkuhlmann
11/20/2015, 04:34 PM
You can buy pods online just look around for the best deal and put them in your sump. If you don't have chaeto get some also get some rock rubble any LFS sells this cheap and let them breed in your sump. You can also put some rubble piles in your DT for them to live in and they'll breed there and on your live rock. They can eat upwards of 5000 per day they are constantly eating them and it's their mainstay food. If you can get it eating baby brine shrimp with the egg sack still attached that is good too. PaulB a member here has designed a feeder that is easy to make just do a search for it. He's got lots of info there and has a few of these little guy's as well as the bigger dragonettes.

You can try to get them to eat frozen mysis or the LRS fish and reef foods they're very good for all the critters in your tank,.

Sapelo
11/20/2015, 04:37 PM
I don't know about a supplement for the dragonette...it's more like figuring out how to supplement/establish a pod population.
I'm guessing that based on the clownfish feeding issue you probably don't know if the dragonette eats prepared food?
It's not really possible to overfeed the fish but it is possible to overfeed your tank (i.e., you feed so much that an algae outbreak occurs).
I don't know if more frequent feedings might help...you could try it.
The good news is that your tank has been established for a year which should mean that you naturally have some pods already growing. The bad news is that 40 gallons is probably below a minimum size to maintain enough pods for a dragonette. Whatever you do, don't add another pod eater!
Does your LFS sell pods? You might try adding some to supplement your tank.
How long have you had the dragonette in your tank?

astroroxy
11/20/2015, 04:53 PM
I don't know about a supplement for the dragonette...it's more like figuring out how to supplement/establish a pod population.
I'm guessing that based on the clownfish feeding issue you probably don't know if the dragonette eats prepared food?
It's not really possible to overfeed the fish but it is possible to overfeed your tank (i.e., you feed so much that an algae outbreak occurs).
I don't know if more frequent feedings might help...you could try it.
The good news is that your tank has been established for a year which should mean that you naturally have some pods already growing. The bad news is that 40 gallons is probably below a minimum size to maintain enough pods for a dragonette. Whatever you do, don't add another pod eater!
Does your LFS sell pods? You might try adding some to supplement your tank.
How long have you had the dragonette in your tank?

I just got him yesterday. I was not planning on adding any other fish.

My LFS may have that. They have these machines that look like Slurpee machines with liquid.

If I add some pods every once and awhile I should be fine?

Dkuhlmann
11/20/2015, 06:20 PM
You need 5000-8000 per day. They eat one every 5 seconds or so for the time the lights are on. It actually adds up to over 8000 per day that they can eat. You need a big population in both your DT and your sump to even come close to keeping it fed. The good thing is they are ease to raise. Just Google raising pods and you'll find a site that has everything you nee and they can be raised in 2 liter bottles.

astroroxy
11/21/2015, 04:25 AM
I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00I8BREP2?vs=1 do you think that will suffice with LR and macroalge?

Dkuhlmann
11/21/2015, 05:44 AM
It will help but it's not very big. Don't you have a sump?