PDA

View Full Version : Bta id

alb_56
11/20/2015, 10:31 PM
I just got this anemone in as a green bubble tip and I'm skeptical because I've never personally seen this color combination. Has anyone seen a bubble tip like this before?
http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o648/alb_42/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsabhkxct4.jpg

alb_56
11/20/2015, 10:35 PM
Heres a picture of the oral disc. Trying to show that it does have the white stripes around the mouth.
http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o648/alb_42/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps8ieqtrqv.jpg

ThRoewer
11/21/2015, 02:38 AM
I would say you got a Heteractis magnifica. And from the looks of it you will need to treat it with cipro (available from Thomas Labs under the name Fish Flox Forte).

Dkuhlmann
11/21/2015, 04:23 AM
I agree, that's no bubbletip, and looks pretty sick. The cipro treatment is very effective and all of the instructions are in the sticky up top. Good luck!

alb_56
11/21/2015, 04:32 AM
Thanks for the responses guys.

So for starters I have no experience with any anemones out side of entacmea quadricolor, and aptasia so I have no clue what a heteractis magnifica needs or what it looks like when it's sick. Is there a specific trait or quality that 100% says it's a magnifica? And also I'll start doing my homework on these right now.

Can this be housed with a entacmea quadricolor or do they fight? Right now it's with a large green BTA.

alb_56
11/21/2015, 04:59 AM
Ok so I've done a quick read through on the sticky for treatment and what a heteractis magnifica is. I would also agree that is probably a correct Id. So for the decision of whether it's sick or not. It is very responsive to touch, holds tight with it's foot, has slightly bubbled tentacles, it's mouth is slightly open, the water it came in was clear and clean although a little cold, the color doesn't seem to be off but I'm not experienced with that, and finally it did deflate when I first put it in the tank after floating for 30+ minutes and then dripping for 30+ minutes but it hasn't fully deflated since.

Honestly I wasn't really concerned about health until you guys said something but that could be my lack of knowledge showing with these anemone.

Dkuhlmann
11/21/2015, 06:09 AM
It's deflated in both pictures and it's mouth is open quite a bit. Most anemones that are wild collected come in with infections that will cause the to die. Some of the appearance is key when trying to figure out if one's sick or not. It's not necessary to treat all anemones but the ones that exhibit signs like yours is certainly should be treated with the Cipro. You will see the difference in your anemone within 3 days usually. You can go back and look at some of the threads where people have treated theirs and you will get a better idea of what to expect.

The sooner you start treatment the better the chances for a good outcome. I suggest you either order the Cipro today if you can't get it locally.

alb_56
11/21/2015, 07:42 AM
Can it be found locally? Do pharmacies sell it?

Dkuhlmann
11/21/2015, 09:15 AM
Just search Google for Flox Forte or call your local LFS

alb_56
11/21/2015, 09:19 AM
Is that something that petco or pet smart might carry?

ThRoewer
11/21/2015, 11:07 AM
Is that something that petco or pet smart might carry?

I never checked Petco or Petsmart for it. A LFS here has Fish Mox from Thomas Labs, so some stores may carry it.
If you have a vet or human doctor that can give you a prescription, you can just get a generic Ciprofloxacin (500 mg) from your local pharmacy.
It is a broadband antibiotic for human use.
What is sold as Fish Flox is exactly the same but the bottle is labeled "not for human use".

alb_56
11/21/2015, 11:46 AM
Oh I didn't realize it was Fish Mox. Yeah I'm pretty sure one of my LFS carry that. Thanks again for your help guys.

ThRoewer
11/21/2015, 11:59 AM
Oh I didn't realize it was Fish Mox. Yeah I'm pretty sure one of my LFS carry that. Thanks again for your help guys.

No, Fish Mox is Amoxicillin, not Ciprofloxin.
What you need is Fish Flox (250 mg) or Fish Flox Forte (500 mg).
But since it is coming from the same "manufacturer" (more likely just repackaged), stores that carry Fish Mox should be able to get Fish Flox.
Though with this anemone you need to start treatment today. So I would print some treatment description in the stickies and take it to a vet in the hope they give you a prescription for it.

alb_56
11/21/2015, 12:29 PM
No, Fish Mox is Amoxicillin, not Ciprofloxin.

That's what I was thinking.

I'm leaving for the fish store here soon and if they dont have it I'll call the vet.

alb_56
11/21/2015, 12:41 PM
http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o648/alb_42/image_zpsbg8pr7cm.jpg

http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o648/alb_42/image_zps1rx0iyi8.jpg

These are pictures of it right now. Do you guys still agree that it looks in need of treatment?

alb_56
11/21/2015, 12:42 PM
The mouth is completely shut right now also.

Bogue Chitto
11/21/2015, 12:45 PM
From those pics I can't see anything wrong with it. What am I missing?

alb_56
11/21/2015, 12:47 PM

That's kind of where I'm at.

ThRoewer
11/21/2015, 01:23 PM

It expelled Zooxanthellae in one of the first pictures.

Even if you want to wait with treatment right now I would get the antibiotics so you have them when needed.

alb_56
11/21/2015, 01:25 PM
Even if you want to wait with treatment right now I would get the antibiotics so you have them when needed.

I agree completely, I'm still gonna check the stores today and get a tank setup and ready.