PDA

View Full Version : Eagle PCB Camming (gerber files) question

Aqualund
11/21/2015, 02:33 PM
So I've decided to start making components that I want. Im doing fine with making everything in Eagle, and making custom components and such. But I guess I am unclear about the output files and which layers go with which?

Im sending the files to Itead which require the gerber files and the drill file.

Was hoping maybe O2 or someone who knows this stuff well can shed some light on this?

So I know there needs to be the top and bottom copper layers, but what layers get associated with those files?

I have 2 solder layers, and the top of the board has some pads for an IC. So I imagine at least 4 files: Silk screen, top copper, bottom copper, and drill.

geekengineer
11/21/2015, 02:54 PM
I haven't used eagle, but I usually need to send the vendor gerber files (maybe this vendor is different I not familiar with them) that are exported from your tool. Depending on what options your getting from the vendor will determine what files you will need to send. If your getting silkscreen you will need to send that and any other options like solder-mask if your having it assembled etc. I usually only do a "bare bones" board so I send the just top, bottom, and board outline layers.

I would also recommend also getting gerbv which is a free tool to look at your gerber files just to do a sanity check with a different tool to make sure your getting what you want and the files are good.

http://gerbv.geda-project.org/

Aqualund
11/21/2015, 02:58 PM
Hey that's a good tool! thanks :)

Yeah I'm just stressing abpout whether I have the correct associated layers in the files for the different copper layers I know I need.

geekengineer
11/21/2015, 03:03 PM
yeah I forgot Drill usually it is just a NC drill file.

Sorry about that if your doing silkscreen your list looks right to me.

You should just have one file for each layer.

Aqualund
11/21/2015, 03:20 PM
Yeah...but there are like 30 layers in an eagle file and it seems like many of them need to be grouped in a certain manner when each one of those files are exported...

Like the top copper layer definitely needs to have the vias and the pads layer associated with it....my question is how many of those layers need to be assocated with say...the top copper layer, when you export the top copper layer?

O2Surplus
11/21/2015, 03:20 PM
I haven't used Itead for Pcb production for awhile now. Their website has changed since I last used them, so I'm not familiar with their Pcb ordering system now. I'm sure that if you search their site, you'll find a list of the gerber files that they require. They used to provide a downloadable cam file for EAGLE that made selecting the proper layer files a piece of cake. I'm not sure if that's still available?
I prefer Seeedstudios now Seeed Studio Bazaar, Boost ideas, Extend the Reach (http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/login.html)
They're set up now to accept the gerber files at the time of ordering rather than by a followup Email. Once you upload your gerber files, you can inspect your files using Seeed's online Gerber file viewer. So much easier now! Seedstudios requires the following files - GBL, GBO, GBS, GML, GTO, GTS, & TXT. I've attached their CAM FILE, just in case you want to give SeeedStudios a try.

Aqualund
11/21/2015, 03:27 PM
This is great! Thanks so much O2.

Aqualund
11/21/2015, 03:31 PM
deleted my stupid question here :)

geekengineer
11/21/2015, 04:31 PM
Ah ok I didn't realize it was that complicated in eagle lol.