PDA

View Full Version : Ocellaris Clownfish

Mr Autistic
11/22/2015, 08:28 AM
thinking of adding one maybe a pair to my 3 foot reef ,I rehomed my saddleback clown and pj wrasse as they were not to friendly and I'm really looking for very peaceful fish only . I have been told that the female can grow to 6 inches by one lfs the other told me that's rubbish and 3 inches is the norm so which is it ?

Also would a pair be better or worse than a single addition to a currently peaceful reef !

Advice from anyone that has experience from keeping them please !

shifty51008
11/22/2015, 01:46 PM
I would say the 3-4" is about the average size of a female.

I have a pair in my tank and they get along with everyone else, they are breeding so they kick others away from their spot but other wise are great together.

ThRoewer
11/22/2015, 06:10 PM
I would say 100 mm (~4 inch) total length is the absolute maximum for percula and ocellaris and rather rare. More realistically would be 80 mm (~3.1 in).

All other anemone fish get bigger and for some 150 mm is not unheard of. A couple of weeks ago I saw an A. polymnus close to that size at a store and it was quite a shock to see angel fish dwarfed by an anemone fish.

oh207
11/24/2015, 09:56 PM
3" is more the norm that an Ocellaris will grow to in a home aquarium. This doesn't mean that they don't get bigger. But all the bigger ones that I've seen for sale were all wild caught.

They are definitely the most peaceful of all the other clownfishes. Except maybe when they start spawning. But thats another time.