PDA

View Full Version : Radion XR30w vs. two XR15w for a Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon

mavenfish
11/22/2015, 12:00 PM
I was hoping I could get some community advice on a new setup I’m in the process of preparing. I have a Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long (35.4” x 8.3” x 9.4”). I’m planning on cultivating it over time as a mixed reef tank. I’m currently debating about my lighting options and could use some other opinions/advice.

I’m fairly certain at this point, that I want to go with a Radion. I can’t decide if I should go with a Radion XR30w Gen 3 Pro or if I should use 2 Radion XR15w Pro. Given the dimensions of the tank, I’m afraid that getting a Radion XR30w will not give me the same coverage as getting two XR15w.

Additionally, my reservation about going with the XR30w is that I plan to eventually place my SPS towards the end of the tank with a few of my lower demanding light corals towards the center. Would the two XR15w be a better route or would one XR30w be sufficient? I would greatly appreciate anyone’s opinion or insight on which option would be the best route. :fish1:

Bogue Chitto
11/22/2015, 01:09 PM
Those lights are too big for that size tank, aren't they?

mavenfish
11/22/2015, 01:22 PM
Those lights are too big for that size tank, aren't they?

How so? Do you mean PAR wise? I was planning on lowering the intensity dramatically and mounting the units well above the tank. Or are you referring to the physical size of the units? The physical units for the XR30w are (11.8" x 7" x 1.4 ") and the XR15w are (7" x 7" x 1.5").

zooman72
11/22/2015, 03:48 PM
Yes, most would consider running Radions over that tank as "overkill", and it is not the size of the fixture one considers, but the light spread that results.

You would probably be best served to take a look at a 36" Current Orbit Marine for around $250 or the 36" Orbit Marine Pro for around $400 if you "need" the PAR. BuildMyLED also makes a nice LED strip, with the 36" 20K around $300 shipped ($400 w/ controller).