PDA

View Full Version : One spot fox face not eating algae sheets

hotelbravo
11/22/2015, 02:17 PM
Hello all, I recently tore down my tank and caught a marine betta and yellow tang who was to large for my small 90gallon. I traded them in for store credit and got a foxface with some of it. He eats frozen like a pig but wont touch any type of algae sheets. Ive taken some caulerpa out of my sump and he mowed it down in seconds but I cant grow the caulerpa faster than he will eat it so I need to figure out how to get him to eat algae sheets. Any suggestions?

Dmorty217
11/22/2015, 05:44 PM
Shred it up in front of a power head and see if he eats it that way

CedzAquAddictio
11/23/2015, 12:23 PM
Roll some of the caulerpa up with the nori sheets. It'll undoubtedly have to get some of the nori when it goes after the caulerpa, and may get used to the nori that way. Aslo, what other fish do you have in the tank? If you have other nori eaters, the foxface may have to be taught to eat nori by other fish...

hotelbravo
11/24/2015, 01:44 PM
well i tried shredding it up and letting the powerhead throw it around the tank with no success. i tried the caulerpa in a bundle on the clip with nothing.
my flame angel eats the nori like a pig he doesnt eat it to quickly though but he does eat a third of a sheet a day and usually within an hour or two of putting it in there
the foxface has claimed the area where the algae clip is placed and so he sits there and watches the flame angel eat from it but he still doesnt try it.

scooter31707
11/24/2015, 02:22 PM
Try getting a piece of rock and rubberband the Nori to the rock and see if he goes for that. It may look more natural to him that way.

Dayson
11/24/2015, 02:56 PM
try getting a piece of rock and rubberband the nori to the rock and see if he goes for that. It may look more natural to him that way.

+1

hotelbravo
11/24/2015, 07:40 PM
Try getting a piece of rock and rubberband the Nori to the rock and see if he goes for that. It may look more natural to him that way.

Did that also. It did not work. I talked to the lfs today and I knew they had him for weeks before they sold him to me. They used him in their seahorse tank to get rid of all the algae growth once he did he job they were ready to sell him. They said they never tried nori on him just frozen so maybe he was spoiled in their tank and is on strike from the sheets afterall its been less than a week. Maybe he will come around

Deinonych
11/25/2015, 09:51 AM
He'll eventually figure it out, especially if other fish are eating it.

CoralsAddiction
11/25/2015, 11:29 AM
Shred it up in front of a power head and see if he eats it that way

This worked with my purple tang a while ago. Took him a couple days but once he figured it out there was no stopping.