PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions? Fish stock for a 40 gal

Kizzy911
11/23/2015, 11:57 AM
I have a 40 gal breeder with a 25 gallon sump.
As of right now this is what I have in my QT:
-3 blue green chromis
- 1 orange spotted goby
- 1 sapphire damsel

Inverts in my main display:
- large pistol shrimp
-cleaner shrimp
-Astrea snails
-hermits

What I'm thinking of adding:
- 1 royal gramma
-2 clown fishes
-a wrasse ?
-mandarin

I don't know too much about other fishes, I would like some suggestions on other fishes that are colorful and that I can add in a 40gal.

Tell me what's wrong with my plan or any suggestions about other fishes that I can add.

Thanks !

Dayson
11/23/2015, 12:12 PM
The Mandy is going to be very difficult to keep fed in a 40g unless you have a large established fuge. I am personally anti Damsel...they are just mean most of the time.

Kizzy911
11/23/2015, 12:17 PM
The Mandy is going to be very difficult to keep fed in a 40g unless you have a large established fuge. I am personally anti Damsel...they are just mean most of the time.

Fishless right now so pod populations both in my tank and in my sumo is crazy, and I mean crazy. Also, my sapphire is a bit aggressive but will he be ok or should I rehome him especially with all these other fishes?

Dayson
11/23/2015, 12:43 PM
I understand what your saying about the pods. But you have to realize that the mandy will eat 5-10 a minute. No matter how many you have now he will go through them and starve if your tank is not producing them rapidly.

You never know until your try. I swore off Damsels, never been anything but trouble in my tanks.

Kizzy911
11/23/2015, 12:54 PM
I have back up pods in my sump (:

DopeCantWin
11/23/2015, 01:08 PM
The three Chromis will turn into one Chromi, they eventually kill each other.

Kizzy911
11/23/2015, 01:09 PM
The three Chromis will turn into one Chromi, they eventually kill each other.

Really? They were hardy and they always schooled together

DopeCantWin
11/23/2015, 01:23 PM
Really? They were hardy and they always schooled together

Yes, there are a lot of threads here about it, even in much larger tanks they usually end up killing each other. There are exceptions to every rule, but they're few and far between.

jraker
11/23/2015, 05:22 PM
chromis only school in the wild when there is a common predator. obviously, you do not have sharks and groupers is a 40 gallon. if they dont have a common predator, they turn to killing each other for territory. mine is very active and dominates at feeding time.

go with the clown and the royal gramma, both great nano fish .

Kizzy911
11/23/2015, 05:45 PM
Sounds good! What else can i add? A wrasse?

Dannywilders
11/23/2015, 07:49 PM
I would add a blenny, they have a tone of character, fun to watch and do a half decent job on a the Algae in the tank. I personally have a stary blenny and iv never regretted getting him.

NT Nano
11/23/2015, 10:30 PM
I love neon or sharknose gobies. They are full of character and they have a big presence despite their small size, plus it is fun to watch them clean the other fish. The Royal Gramma is great too... They are one of my small tank favorites. I also like neon or orchid dottybacks, haven't had any aggression problems with these 2. Sixline wrasse can be colorful and active, but they can jump, and you may get an aggressive one. Firefish are also very colorful nano fish, but also jumpers.
Sorry if I overwhelmed you...I have always had 55 gal or smaller, so I have a big list of favorites :-)

NT Nano
11/23/2015, 10:33 PM
Forgot to add striped blenny and tailspot blenny. Striped don't eat algae, but they are pretty and active.

Kizzy911
11/23/2015, 11:16 PM
I would add a blenny, they have a tone of character, fun to watch and do a half decent job on a the Algae in the tank. I personally have a stary blenny and iv never regretted getting him.

Sounds goo ! Can I add a pair? Or just one?

Kizzy911
11/23/2015, 11:20 PM
I love neon or sharknose gobies. They are full of character and they have a big presence despite their small size, plus it is fun to watch them clean the other fish. The Royal Gramma is great too... They are one of my small tank favorites. I also like neon or orchid dottybacks, haven't had any aggression problems with these 2. Sixline wrasse can be colorful and active, but they can jump, and you may get an aggressive one. Firefish are also very colorful nano fish, but also jumpers.
Sorry if I overwhelmed you...I have always had 55 gal or smaller, so I have a big list of favorites :-)

Anything helps, thank you for the comment!

jraker
11/24/2015, 07:35 AM
Sounds good ! Can I add a pair? Or just one?

Usually blennies will get territorial in a nano tank. If you have a large tank you can put 2 in, but only 1 in a nano tank. I would get a tailspot or a starry blenny

eatbreakfast
11/25/2015, 05:51 AM
Sapphire damsels are pretty low on the aggression scale for damsels.

A mandarin may be fine in your setup, just let the system mature for at least 6 months before adding one, and don't add other fish that pick at pods.

Flasher or small fairy wrasses will be fine, they don't pick at pods.

While there are plenty of experiences of chromis killing each other off, there are also quite a few where groups remain stable. Multiple feedings seem to help.

Kizzy911
11/26/2015, 03:18 AM
Also, i've seen carpenters wrasse, they look amazing, can i put one in my tank?

eatbreakfast
11/26/2015, 07:03 AM
Yes, a carpenter's wrasse will be fine.

Kizzy911
11/26/2015, 01:23 PM
would a pair be fine or do i just keep one?

WaReefer458
11/26/2015, 03:30 PM
I'd remove the damsel as that is only going to frustrate you. Also forget the mandarin, people don't realize it but they eat 4-6000 pods a day. I personally love the look of them but it's just not practical in a tank under 180gal. I have a 40b and here is my list.

Diamond goby
Pair of Darwin clowns
Sand sifting starfish
Conch
Solon wrasse
Long fin fairy wrasse
Mccoskers wrasse
1 chromis ( put 3 in right after tank cycle killed the weaker ones )
Bicolor blenny

Everyone is peaceful except the mccoskers wrasse. He nips at the other wrasses but other than that I consider my tank " full " as far as fish load goes. I tried a small Kole tang a while back, he didn't nip at anything that didn't eat algae but chased my bicolor and goby all day. So he was removed. Good luck with the tank!

Kizzy911
11/26/2015, 05:21 PM
That long fin fairy wrasse sounds awesome.

Im thinking:
long fin fairy wrasse
2 regular clowns
carpenters wrasse
1 blue/green chromic
1 orange spot goby
1 royal gramma
maybe 1 mandarin, we'll see.

11/26/2015, 06:34 PM
If you have your heart set on a mandarin, I've seen it done, but as always your mileage will vary. That said, you definitely stack the deck in your favor if you get one that's accepting other foods (or train yours to).

Kizzy911
11/26/2015, 06:57 PM
My LFS can notice me if theres a mandarin thats accepting frozen foods, but then again, how long will that last. I have a refugium thats pretty well of in terms of pods.

Genera
11/26/2015, 11:32 PM
Sailfin Mollies! Beautiful fish and free fish/coral food!

BlueMac92
11/26/2015, 11:42 PM
Flame hawkfish have great personality and really pop. Mandarin isn't a write off, but be prepared to replenish your pod population should he ever look like he's loosing girth....

Starki damsels are a great option as well.

shifty51008
11/27/2015, 02:14 AM
Wont wrasse compete for pods with the mandy?