PDA

View Full Version : My yellow tang has Septicemia - help

South City
11/23/2015, 04:50 PM
My yellow tang is showing signs of Septicemia. He has red splotches along the base of his fins and on the side of his body. For the moment at least, he is showing no other signs of illness and is eating well and behaving normally.

I want to begin treating this as quickly as possible. I have some Furan 2 on hand at the house and a box of Kanaplax which is a Kanamycin based treatment will be arriving tomorrow via UPS. I've heard that Kanamycin works wonders with Septicemia but I'd prefer to start treatment this evening which means using the Furan 2.

One final bit of information, it will be impossible to catch the tang and put him in a hospital tank. I'd have to tear my whole tank apart to get him out which I can't do right now. So, I'll have to treat him in the display tank which contains other fish, a diverse mix of corals, and quite a few different invertebrates.

Here are my questions. Can Furan 2 be just as effective in treating Septicemia as Kanaplax(Kanamycin)? Do I need to worry about crashing the biological filter by introducing an antibiotic to the display tank? Between the two of them, does either Furan 2 or Kanaplax have a reputation for being safer when added directly to the display tank?

ThRoewer
11/23/2015, 05:17 PM
You will have to catch him out, however hard it may be.
Treatment in the tank is always a huge risk and especially if inverts are involved. You may just blow up your whole tank. I would rather let one fish die than kill all others in the attempt to treat him in the display.

Also, there are very few fish that can't be caught with ingenuity and patience.
A tang is especially easy to catch: Just get a big trap and put a mirror on the side opposite the door. He will be in there to fight the "intruder" in no time.

holdyourlight
11/23/2015, 06:57 PM
Lace his food with kanaplex and focus. This has cleared it up for me in yellow tangs

South City
11/23/2015, 07:31 PM
I was thinking of doing that rather than giving the tank itself a full dose. Is there any danger do you think that the small amount that makes it into the tank from the food could cause any issues?

Lace his food with kanaplex and focus. This has cleared it up for me in yellow tangs

South City
11/23/2015, 07:37 PM
Thank you. I know it definitely would be better to do all this in a hospital tank. It just may not be possible at the moment.(there are other difficulties in addition to catching him...we are having some work done in the house and I don't really have a spot to setup my qt/hospital tank until that's done)

You will have to catch him out, however hard it may be.
Treatment in the tank is always a huge risk and especially if inverts are involved. You may just blow up your whole tank. I would rather let one fish die than kill all others in the attempt to treat him in the display.

Also, there are very few fish that can't be caught with ingenuity and patience.
A tang is especially easy to catch: Just get a big trap and put a mirror on the side opposite the door. He will be in there to fight the "intruder" in no time.