PDA

View Full Version : Brightwell Xport PO4

reefgeezer
11/23/2015, 05:58 PM
Hi all. Anybody using this product? I'm wondering if it could be an economical alternative to GFO and possibly reduce some labor. I've read Brightwell's data sheet. Unfortunately I can't do all the unit of measure conversions required to make sense of their claimed numbers. Anybody care to simplify those number for me or share personal experiences with the product? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

bertoni
11/23/2015, 06:09 PM
From what we can tell, it's GFO. I'd check the price against competing GFO products, personally. BRS sells several types of GFO, as one price point.

reefgeezer
11/23/2015, 06:22 PM
Thanks Jonathan. I use BRS GFO. I was hoping I'd found something that was less difficult to use. I've been having some trouble keeping the GFO from clumping in my Phosban reactor. It tends to tumble well for a while but stops tumbling and clumps as soon as I stop checking it. Sneaky stuff! It behaves while you're watching, but turn your head... bam!

I thought the Brightwell stuff might be better in my phosban reactor. Unfortunately, if it is just another form of GFO, the price point makes it less attractive.

bertoni
11/23/2015, 06:36 PM
You're welcome. Good luck with the reactor.

igadget56
11/24/2015, 07:43 AM
I tried it and it did absolutely nothing.

tfp
11/24/2015, 07:55 AM
I tried their xport no3 (croutons) in a media reactor and after 10months of use...nothing. removed it just a couple weekends ago.

reefgeezer
11/24/2015, 08:15 AM
Good to know. Thanks everyone.

tmz
11/24/2015, 11:37 AM
The HC BRS can take more brisk tumbling ,it's denser and doesn't break up as readily as the granular,IME. The culmping is probably due to calcium carbonate precipitation and is common. Moving the dosing point for alk supplements away from the gfo reactor input may help.

ReefCowboy
11/24/2015, 11:12 PM
Thanks Jonathan. I use BRS GFO. I was hoping I'd found something that was less difficult to use. I've been having some trouble keeping the GFO from clumping in my Phosban reactor. It tends to tumble well for a while but stops tumbling and clumps as soon as I stop checking it. Sneaky stuff! It behaves while you're watching, but turn your head... bam!

I thought the Brightwell stuff might be better in my phosban reactor. Unfortunately, if it is just another form of GFO, the price point makes it less attractive.

Check your Mg levels. They must be low.