PDA

View Full Version : Oops, GE II window/door used to build sump

Ejazzle
11/24/2015, 02:53 PM
In a rushed trip to home depot I accidentally grabbed GE II window/door instead of GE I. I finished building the sump and I couldn't be more happy with it.

But now after some research I am seeing some of the GE II can be toxic. Should I tear it down and rebuild from scratch or should I just let the GE II window/door cure for a couple weeks?

bklynreef123
11/24/2015, 02:55 PM
Save yourself the setback later and re do it. Even if you manage to "cure" it anything slightly off will have you guessing if you should have re done the sump.

AUFishGuy
11/24/2015, 03:02 PM
Redo the sump

apcoleman
11/24/2015, 03:29 PM
redo it. Not worth risking. There was a thread recently where someone used this and within an hour or two his livestock was barely alive.

Ejazzle
11/24/2015, 03:42 PM
After a lot of research I have been seeing a lot people saying that has happened after using GE II. But I wasn't sure if it was the Bath/tile GE II that they were using or if possibly they did not let the GE II window/door cure long enough. They are plenty of people who said they have used GE II no problem. But most of these threads were old ~2010

ReefWreak
11/24/2015, 03:42 PM
*** DO YOU GUYS HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT?

GE II IS NOT A PROBLEM (unless it has mold/mildew additives in it and advertised on the bottle).

Ugh. This thread, for the 10,000th time.

GE I or II work fine, the difference between the two is the curing time required before use. If you leave it for 3-4 weeks to cure, it will be fine. GE I cures faster with a less toxic result if you use it too soon. GE II works fine, but takes longer to cure, and has a more toxic result if you use it too soon.

DrPheel
11/24/2015, 03:44 PM
I did the same mistake with some GE #1 , Even tho there is no mold inhibitor when I double checked the patent numbers on the back it was mostly the same thing as the GE II and could lead to issues in the future. Get some SCS1200 , any glass/window shop should be able to provide this for you and it also have much more tensile strength then regular caulking. It comes in black/white/translucent

http://wildexpressionscorals.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/dry-scs1200-silicon2.jpg

SeedlessOne
11/24/2015, 03:47 PM

GE II IS NOT A PROBLEM (unless it has mold/mildew additives in it and advertised on the bottle).

GE I or II work fine, the difference between the two is the curing time required before use. If you leave it for 3-4 weeks to cure, it will be fine. GE I cures faster with a less toxic result if you use it too soon. GE II works fine, but takes longer to cure, and has a more toxic result if you use it too soon.

This X1000

This crap is posted over, over and over again.

toothybugs
11/24/2015, 09:09 PM

We should stickie this. This topic has more misinformation associated with it than anything but 'cooking rock' - the acid/bleach debate for killing rock is another roundabout, but this one wins for spread of blatant misinformation.

Ejazzle
11/25/2015, 11:30 AM

This is what i was thinking. Thank you!