PDA

View Full Version : Naso Tang QT? How due to size

splix
11/24/2015, 04:32 PM
How would I go about QT a large fish like a Naso? My LFS has a nice Naso at a good price which would be perfect for my tank. My concern is that my QT is only a 20g and I'm not about to stuff this guy in there since he's already easily 8".

Also, I'm reading that Naso's are aggressive towards other tangs but I wanted to get at least another hippo. They currently have him in a tank with a sail fin tang and they're fine with each other.

Dmorty217
11/24/2015, 04:37 PM
A 40g breeder is stretching it with a 8" fish especially since everyone's idea of QTing is different. They are very docile in the tang world. I hope you have a large tank for this Naso.

slief
11/24/2015, 04:37 PM
How would I go about QT a large fish like a Naso? My LFS has a nice Naso at a good price which would be perfect for my tank. My concern is that my QT is only a 20g and I'm not about to stuff this guy in there since he's already easily 8".

Also, I'm reading that Naso's are aggressive towards other tangs but I wanted to get at least another hippo. They currently have him in a tank with a sail fin tang and they're fine with each other.

An 8" naso in a 155 gallon tank is perfect?? That tang is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY too big for a tank that your size and that fish will grow several inches more in the next year. In fact, your tank is really too small for any NASO and even a Hippo in my opinion. I'd pass if I were you. You really need to slow down and make better choices in fish or your mortality rate is going to skyrocket and your success with this hobby will be nil. It is the wrong fish for a tank your size. Heck, it would be borderline for my 480 gallon tank and given it's size, I wouldn't even put it in my tank. Regardless, a 20g tank is no place to QT an 8" tang and a 155g bowfront is no place for a Naso let alone one that is 8".

ClownsRCoo
11/24/2015, 04:41 PM
For all of you with multiple tangs in your tanks, especially those that introduced them at the same time, what size QT do you do it in? Several 40g breeders? One very large tank? Did you buy the fish at a very small size to start?

I've been trying to plan out how I will do this as well.

splix
11/24/2015, 04:42 PM
An 8" naso in a 155 gallon tank is perfect?? That tang is WAY too big for a tank that your size and that fish will grow several inches more in the next year. I'd pass if I were you. It is the wrong fish for a tank your size. Heck, it would be borderline for my 480 gallon tank and given it's size, I wouldn't put it in my tank. Regardless, a 20g tank is no place to QT an 8" tang.

Hrm...I didnt realize that my DT was too small for him. I've talked with a couple other local guys and they said it would be the minimum but it's not out of the question. I will say I was curious that it might not be a good match for size.

slief
11/24/2015, 04:44 PM
Hrm...I didnt realize that my DT was too small for him. I've talked with a couple other local guys and they said it would be the minimum but it's not out of the question.

The locals are not giving you sound advice. Naso's need lots of room to swim and graze and a big fish like that needs a minimum of an 8' long tank and like I said, I wouldn't even consider one in my tank which is 8'x4'. That fish needs a really big tank and your tank isn't anywhere near large enough.

How long has your tank been up and running?

splix
11/24/2015, 04:45 PM
8x4...hrm dang. I'm at 6x2 heh. Oh well... :/
He checked all the boxes but one. Good swimming fish, reef safe, good price, wife liked him too.

slief
11/24/2015, 04:46 PM
8x4...hrm dang. I'm at 6x2 heh. Oh well... :/

splix
11/24/2015, 04:50 PM

Tank has been up for almost 3 months. I'm not too worried about him having picking algae to eat. I got a lot of live rock from a tank that had been running for years that had algae on it. I did about 100 lbs of dry rock, then about 75 lbs of the cultured rock a few months in so that the algae wouldnt die.
I will admit this is a case of me browsing the LFS and just randomly seeing a fish and was like omg he's awesome I want him! LOL. I refused to purchase him until I did more research on him though, and thats why I'm asking here :D

slief
11/24/2015, 05:50 PM
Tank has been up for almost 3 months. I'm not too worried about him having picking algae to eat. I got a lot of live rock from a tank that had been running for years that had algae on it. I did about 100 lbs of dry rock, then about 75 lbs of the cultured rock a few months in so that the algae wouldnt die.
I will admit this is a case of me browsing the LFS and just randomly seeing a fish and was like omg he's awesome I want him! LOL. I refused to purchase him until I did more research on him though, and thats why I'm asking here :D

It's certainly better that you asked first instead of making an impulse buy that you would later regret. Your tank is far from mature at this stage. Especially given the amount of dry rock you added. Your bacterial population is still building and diversifying and will continue to do so over the next several months. My best advice to you is to slow way down and give the tank some time to mature. Aside from the fact that a tang of that size is way too large for your tank, adding a large load like an 8" fish of that type in your tank at this stage would likely cause other issues since you don't have the bacterial poplulations to deal with the waste that would accompany a fish of that size. Again, it's kind of a moot point because that fish is too large for your tank to begin with. Either way, do yourself a favor and take a deep breath and slow down so you don't end up killing your fish. Personally, I'd avoid the Hippo all together. They are known to have ich issues and are another fish that grows very fast and isn't well suited for a tank that size for very long. That is one fish I avoid all together because of the fact that ich and hippo seem to go hand in hand.

Dmorty217
11/24/2015, 07:21 PM
For all of you with multiple tangs in your tanks, especially those that introduced them at the same time, what size QT do you do it in? Several 40g breeders? One very large tank? Did you buy the fish at a very small size to start?

I've been trying to plan out how I will do this as well.

Buy small to answer your question. I have 2-125g tanks I'm using for QTs but that's still quite limiting honestly.

splix
11/24/2015, 07:45 PM
Thats what I hear about hippos. I like them but I'm so afraid to get one due to how ich prone they are. Another lfs has a tiny juvenile one that is not even 2" for a great price but every time I look at him he seems to be showing signs of ich with the scratching, but I can't see any white spots. Oh well. I like angels the most anyways haha.
I'm just looking for a nice size fish that likes to swim and be seen, not hide in caves lol.

Thank you guys for your help. If I can't qt it, I'm not going to chance it.

brett559
11/24/2015, 10:23 PM
A regal angel (Red Sea) would be a good choice for a tank of that size. Gorgeous fish. Not the easiest to keep, but worth the wait/effort in my opinion.

What about a purple tang? I kept a purple in a 90 and he did very well. Gorgeous fish. Slow growing too - a small/medium would be a good choice.

splix
11/25/2015, 08:06 AM
A regal angel (Red Sea) would be a good choice for a tank of that size. Gorgeous fish. Not the easiest to keep, but worth the wait/effort in my opinion.

What about a purple tang? I kept a purple in a 90 and he did very well. Gorgeous fish. Slow growing too - a small/medium would be a good choice.

Yes I really like those guys. Thank you for the suggestions!