PDA

View Full Version : 4 stripe damsel

migo2191
11/24/2015, 05:47 PM
What's up everybody, just wondering if anybody has any good advice or getting my damsels to breed? I've had them for 1 year now

DanDashO
11/24/2015, 06:07 PM
Damsels are slow growers, they may not be sexually mature yet. Many species are not hermaphrodites, so be sure you have a male and a female.

DanDashO
11/24/2015, 10:08 PM
So I just did some research, and Dascyllus damselfish (I'm assuming your fish are Dascyllus melanurus) are protoginous hermaphrodites, meaning females can develop into males.
A 'pair' of damsels really just means that the male won't kill the female, she still isn't allowed anywhere near his territory, except to spawn.
As for getting them to spawn, I would add some live blackworms to their diet. This got both my clowns and damsels to start spawning. (:

migo2191
11/25/2015, 06:17 PM
Thanks alot I'd be sure to try it ;)

ThRoewer
11/28/2015, 12:14 AM
I had a spawning pair of Dascyllus trimaculatus and those guys where with around 5 inch huge (and meaner than junk yard dogs).
I got them for free and only took them because they were spawning. I kept them in 1000 liter tank in which I stored live rock (I wasn't crazy enough to put them with other fish).

I wouldn't expect them to spawn until they haven't at least reached half to 3/4 of their maximum size of 4 inch (nor would I look forward to that if I had other living things in the tank).