PDA

View Full Version : Maxima Question

Xxero
11/25/2015, 04:43 AM
I was wondering if any Maxima owners out there keep their Clam directly on the sand bed?

Everything that I've read seems to state that they require rock placement or at least rock attachment, but my LFS claims otherwise.

Any input and thanX! :bigeyes:

C.Eymann
11/25/2015, 05:18 AM
It is recommended that you get the to attach to a rock even if it's small rock, they will scoot around 9on a sendbed if they are small.
most important is they receive adequate light, what kind of t-5 fixture do you have? How many bulbs?

In the wild the are almost always found embedded into rocks same with croceas, they actually bore into rock via acids produced by their byssal gland.

Xxero
11/25/2015, 05:40 AM
I have had this Maxima for about 3 months, and during most of that time it was attached to a perch/cradle of sorts. I removed said cradle, a couple of weeks ago, and just relocated it onto the sand bed as recommended by my LFS.

A few days ago, I went ahead and placed it on a small, flat piece of LR but mainly to raise it off the sand bed a little bit. Throughout its first perch, then being on the naked sand bed, and now onto a flat piece of LR it has been happy as a Clam the entire time. :rolleyes:

I've read the same about them being rock borers in the wild (cool by the way), but I was just wondering if anyone has ever left theirs on the naked sand with no ill results?

***Oh, and the t5's are a 4 bulb fixture with ATI Blue Plus (x2), Purple Plus, and Coral Plus on a 40b tank.

Xxero
11/25/2015, 08:32 AM
When the lights came on this morning:

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j383/bobbybean7/178_zpsgjrt17la.jpg

I'd say it's at least 6 inches (w/ Red Head photo bomb):

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j383/bobbybean7/179_zpsqvosqom2.jpg

Irishman360
11/28/2015, 07:24 AM
Wouldn't you worry about the hermit crabs being able to get at it on the sand bed?

Xxero
11/28/2015, 08:42 AM
The Hermits don't mess with the Clam itself, but they will eat the algae that accumulates on its shell. Even when perched on rock or a pedestal of sorts, the Hermits can still reach it.

I've actually been surprised to see how well the Maxima defends itself in certain situations. For start, it can completely withdraw its mantle into its tightly closed shell, and that's pretty much game over until the curious intruder moves on. I also have a Starfish that I have to keep an eye on in regards to the Clam. I saw it climb on top of the Maxima one time, and the Maxima did its siphon water jet thing! It launched the Starfish no less than six inches into the water column and that was that. :lmao:

Irishman360
11/28/2015, 10:20 AM
The Hermits don't mess with the Clam itself, but they will eat the algae that accumulates on its shell. Even when perched on rock or a pedestal of sorts, the Hermits can still reach it.

I've actually been surprised to see how well the Maxima defends itself in certain situations. For start, it can completely withdraw its mantle into its tightly closed shell, and that's pretty much game over until the curious intruder moves on. I also have a Starfish that I have to keep an eye on in regards to the Clam. I saw it climb on top of the Maxima one time, and the Maxima did its siphon water jet thing! It launched the Starfish no less than six inches into the water column and that was that. :lmao:

Lol that pretty sweet. My clam just arrived in my DT yesterday and I have a perfect spot for it, if you click on my profile you can see my pictures of my tank album. When I woke up this morning though it was knocked off the rock I set it on, i bought one and made sure it had cradle spots for it, and two hermits were on top of it. I was worried they would start to go after its foot. I then moved the rock around and found another cradle spot for it, so far he has been opening up pretty good.

Xxero
11/28/2015, 11:24 AM
That was a contributing factor to my pedestal idea...I didn't have any good spots on my rockwork, but I knew that the T. Maximas prefer rock placement. I also didn't have any flat pieces of rock available at the time for it to attach to, so I made that pedestal. Worked great...form follows function.

Yours might not have been knocked off...it may have done it itself. They can jet water out their back to sort of propel themselves. Not much, but enough to topple it sometimes. Keep an eye on your Hermits, but I've never had any issues. GL! :bigeyes:

Xxero
11/28/2015, 11:30 AM
Nice tank, btw. I see that it's 60g, but what are its dimensions? And where's your new Clam?

Also, is that a corner overflow plumbed from the bottom in a Herbie method?

I'm asking because I'm thinking of building my own 65g and pondering the plumbing.

Irishman360
12/03/2015, 05:56 PM
Those were pictures before I got my clam lol, and unfortunately my clam died on me. I got him small and they are really hard to keep when they are less than 2". The tank is a 60 gallon dimensions are 24x24x24. I honestly couldn't tell you about the the overflow because I don't know what the herbie method is lol. I'm thinking about plumbing mine with pipe instead of hoses that it came with.