PDA

View Full Version : Protien Skimmer Issues help!

bchap05
11/25/2015, 09:56 AM
Hey everyone so I have a 65 gallon tank and had no sump just a Reef octopus hob bh100. It was working well in terms of always being full of gunk but my water was never super clear unless I did a lot of changes so I assumed it might be a bit small for my tank.

So I find Reef Octopus lx1000 hob, guy said it worked, get home its broke. Decided to make sump.

Build sump, buy another skimmer a Turboflotor 1000. I make sure it works by seeing it running in the guys tank before we break it down.

Get everything hooked up and it refuses to make bubbles in the reaction chamber. All the pumps work, which is the only active part of a skimmer so I have no idea why it wont make bubbles. I did have to modify the hoses to fit my sump. This is the only thing I can think of. Instead of a straight line into the chamber now we have a corner as I placed the pump next to the skimmer instead of in line with it. But I wouldn't think that would change it that much. Any Ideas? The way they designed the skimmer you need about 14 inches of space to hook up the pump and skimmer as designed. If I took out like 2 baffles I could get there but I'd rather not tear them out and then it does the same thing.

Getting really frustrated, already wasted over $100 and now might need to go buy another skimmer. New this time never buying used again.

Link to skimmer if seeing the design helps: http://www.marinedepot.com/Aqua_Medic_Turboflotor_T1000_Protein_Skimmer_In_Sump_Venturi_Needle_Wheel_Protein_Skimmers-Aqua_Medic_USA-AQ1111-FIPSISNW-vi.html# Basically it has 3 holes in the chamber. The bottom one the big pump pulls water out of, the next up the big pump returns that water, and the 3rd is for a small pump that pushes in water directly from the sump.

There is no line out for air, thinking maybe that is the issue? Is there typically a line off the skimmer out of water for air?

C.Eymann
11/25/2015, 10:02 AM
Pictures of how you have it currrently setup would help people diagnose your problem much easier.

bchap05
11/25/2015, 10:10 AM
I can take some in a bit but unfortunately posted this at work so I dont have pictures right now. The more I think about it the more I think I need to hook an air tube out up of the sump to the bottom skimmer hookup. I'm thinking this might be the issue. The guy I bought it from didn't give me an airline tube so I assumed I didn't need it. And the directions online dont say anything about it. But looking at that link I posted you can see a small airline tube hooked up and out of the water which I don't have.

That would makes sense as I currently have a reaction chamber with water pumping through it but no air entering it. Thus no bubbles

outy
11/25/2015, 12:42 PM
yes there is an airline you need to add that brings air to the pump

outy
11/25/2015, 12:48 PM
opps duplicate