PDA

View Full Version : Can bacterial infections of corals spread to anemones?

ThRoewer
11/25/2015, 01:29 PM
I just lost some of my well established birdsnest coral to brown jelly disease (which is likely caused by a vibrio infection). The mother colony is so far 75% gone and most frags from it also have literally dissolved. It also took out a few montipora frags, but most of my acropora seem to be happy so far and have good polyp extension.

I think it may have originally come from a wild birdsnest coral, though its symptoms were less obvious.

This morning the Stichodactyla tapetum that sits right below the mother colony was contracted and had its mouth wide open. With a gigantea I would have concluded that it's sick and started preparations for treatment.

The 2 giganteas in the same system look so far healthy but were not as big as usual.

My concern now is that this bacterium may also infect anemones and other coral. Especially since is pretty much sure that the anemone disease is caused by bacteria, likely a vibrio strain.

Also, has anyone ever treated corals with Cipro successfully?

Dkuhlmann
11/25/2015, 01:55 PM
You only need Iodine to treat brown jelly and to kill the bacteria that causes it. Here is an article that you can read. I had Brown Jelly on a Duncan colony that was destroyed by it. I treated it to late. But none of my other corals came down with it. So it seems that the coral needs an injury for it to manifest and I'm thinking my Cherub nipping on it caused it to happen.

http://www.athiel.com/lib/bacterial.html