PDA

View Full Version : Protein Skimmer Troubles...

PirateToast
11/25/2015, 04:20 PM
I am having a lot of trouble with my protein skimmer overflowing. This is on a new 180 gallon tank with a 55 gallon sump. I have a brand new AquaMaxx ConeS CO-2 in sump skimmer. The skimmer is in 9 inches of water (suggested depth of 8-10 inches from manufacturer).

I'm really not sure what to do. It overflows and then the water output basically starts skimming with in the sump, so the sump fills up with foam (see photo).

I'm sure it has something to do with stuff in my water that needs to come out (hence the foam), but I'm not sure how to get that foam out if the skimmer won't work. I've tried unplugging the little tube attached to the collection cup (see photo) so at least the cup will drain, I'm hoping some foam and detritus will collect here.

Any suggestions?

GT3000XX
11/25/2015, 04:34 PM
Brand new is the clue. New protein skimmers have a residual oil on them. Try soaking the skimmer in some vinegar overnight and rinse with hot water. After that it can take a couple of weeks for a skimmer to break in. Be patient and it will come around.

PirateToast
11/25/2015, 05:42 PM
Brand new is the clue. New protein skimmers have a residual oil on them. Try soaking the skimmer in some vinegar overnight and rinse with hot water. After that it can take a couple of weeks for a skimmer to break in. Be patient and it will come around.

Brand new as in the skimmer is brand new? I've read about the residual oil, I thought that would discourage foam rather than overflow?

Any suggestions on the foam in the sump? I don't really know a good way to get it out. Maybe a shop vac!

outy
11/25/2015, 06:11 PM
raise the skimmer 4" to reduce head height

the foam wont hurt leave it alone.

And yes oil reduces foam.

PirateToast
11/25/2015, 06:55 PM
raise the skimmer 4" to reduce head height

the foam wont hurt leave it alone.

And yes oil reduces foam.

I didn't really think it would hurt, but I was wondering if I'll just keep going in a terrible foam cycle if I don't remove it.

I could try raising it, just dont get why it doesn't work per the manufacturer instructions. Plus raising it is hard, i dont have reefsafe platforms lying around! However thats probably what i will try next. Thanks.

PirateToast
11/27/2015, 10:40 AM
Any other suggestions or info besides raising it?

mikeatjac
11/27/2015, 10:49 AM
If you have it set at the manufacture recommended height then just it foam until it settles down