PDA

View Full Version : Risk of spawning/tank crashing from a large clam?

rishu_pepper
11/26/2015, 07:56 AM
I have a chance to acquire a large squamosa clam (15" mantle to mantle, 10" wide), but I have read some horror stories about how when a large clam spawns it could possibly wipe a tank.

My water parameters are relatively stable (9 months old tank), though nitrate is still on the high side (currently being lowered using Nitra guard). Water temp is controlled by an Apex. I hand dose cal/alk since I only have a moderate amount of LPS and no SPS. I have 200g+ total water volume and plenty of room for the sucker. I do have some fish that I have read are possible nippers like coral beauty, melanurus and temminicki wrasses, and copperband butterfly.

What are the chances of it happening? What usually causes it to happen?

AquaTDV
11/27/2015, 06:48 AM
I have had several clams spawn in my 300 gallon system over the past decade, and a Gigas which seems to do it every July/August. Usually for several nights in a row. I remember reading the same thing about how it was devistating for the system. This hasn't been my experience at all. However I do run a skimmerless system, so when it happens I don't worry about a skimmer overflowing. I did have this issue years ago when I did use a skimmer.

AquaTDV
11/27/2015, 06:52 AM
If this clam is coming from a healthy environment and you stess it too much. Then I would say the odds are pretty good you will see it spawn. I wouldn't let that stop you from getting it. They are magnificent creatures.

rishu_pepper
11/27/2015, 07:58 AM
Good to hear some first hand experiences.

Skimmerless system, eh? I'm guessing ATS instead?

AquaTDV
11/27/2015, 04:27 PM
I use a 30 gallon Xenia refugium.

gus6464
12/04/2015, 01:33 PM
It's good protein for corals. If you have a capable skimmer you are good.