PDA

View Full Version : Lightning for my tank

Addy
11/27/2015, 01:28 PM
Hi friends I'm very confused about lighting plz friends tell me how much watt of light will I need for a 24*18*24 inches tank plz I will greatly appreciate your answers.

blazer11
11/30/2015, 12:19 PM
To be honest no one can answer your question. Proper lighting is dependent on what you plan to keep in the tank. Than you have to factor in your budget. Make a list of what you would like to keep, FOWLR, low/high light corals, FO… Than come back and ask for recommendations on your setup or do a search on the internet with your choice of tank inhabitance. Good Luck

Shewillbemine
11/30/2015, 01:05 PM
To be honest no one can answer your question. Proper lighting is dependent on what you plan to keep in the tank. Than you have to factor in your budget. Make a list of what you would like to keep, FOWLR, low/high light corals, FO… Than come back and ask for recommendations on your setup or do a search on the internet with your choice of tank inhabitance. Good Luck

Quoted for truth.

rsain
11/30/2015, 01:29 PM
^^^ Agreed with all of the above.

Also - just jump into the lighting section and start reading stickies and posts. You'll probably find all your answers there! If not, after you're done getting some more background, then come on back and ask more questions.

- ryan

jayball
11/30/2015, 01:44 PM
Hi friends I'm very confused about lighting plz friends tell me how much watt of light will I need for a 24*18*24 inches tank plz I will greatly appreciate your answers.

Hi Addy, Let us know what type of corals you plan on keeping. The requirements for a tank dominated by polyps and mushrooms with a few leathers up top differ greatly from a tank that is SPS dominated and filled with Acropora from both an intensity and the spread required due to shading.

Also let us know what technology you are leaning towards. The WPG rule is a bit outdated and does not tell the whole story, especially when you take into account modern LED technology.

Ron Reefman
12/01/2015, 07:03 AM
Hi Addy, Let us know what type of corals you plan on keeping. The requirements for a tank dominated by polyps and mushrooms with a few leathers up top differ greatly from a tank that is SPS dominated and filled with Acropora from both an intensity and the spread required due to shading.

Also let us know what technology you are leaning towards. The WPG rule is a bit outdated and does not tell the whole story, especially when you take into account modern LED technology.

Forget you ever heard about "watts/gallon" as it just doesn't apply to modern aquarium lighting.

Look into t5 which are easy and inexpensive to buy other than new bulbs every 12 months (minimum). Then look at MH (Metal Halide) which is a bit more involved, better light for stony corals, but adds a lot of heat to the tank and the room abd bulb replacement every 12 to 24 months and bulbs can be kind of pricey. Then look at LEDs which are a bit more expensive up front (although Chinese leds are getting downright cheap and work well), and offer VERY easy color control and intensity control, run cool and you don't need to replace bulbs at all.