PDA

View Full Version : 180 Gallon Stocking List

Rangerbob86
11/29/2015, 02:34 PM
I’m in the process of stocking my recently setup and cycled 180 rimless. So far it only has a pair of Percula Clownfish and a clean up crew. I have a Magnificent Foxface that is finishing up in quarantine and will be added in the next week or two. My stocking list has changed quite a bit since I got the tank, but this is what I would like to add as of now:

Burgessi Butterflyfish
Longnose Butterflyfish
Maybe another butterfly fish (love the Mitratus and Tinkeri, but more realistically a Copperband)
Harlequin Tusk
Regal Angelfish
Green Mandarin
Desjardini Sailfin Tang
Powder Blue Tang

Does anyone see any potential issues with mixing any of these fish? I realize my clean up crew is at risk by adding the Harlequin Tusk. I have no corals as of yet, but am planning on adding some LPS soon (torch or frogspawn). Also, the order above is generally the order I’m planning on adding them, so any suggestions there would be helpful too.

My other question is, are any of these fish more likely to jump out of my rimless tank? I currently have a screen top on it but would like the option of removing it since it’s ugly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Dmorty217
11/29/2015, 04:22 PM
Stocklist looks good, I would start with the Regal and Mitratus and put the two tangs in last. All fish have to potential to jump so it's a risk without a cover albeit a small risk for certain fish. None of the Stocklist you want are known jumpers but a precaution is always a good thing.

brad
11/29/2015, 07:36 PM
I have a Harlequin Tusk and just added a Desjardini Sailfin Tang.

The tusk will eat snails, shrimp and crabs and move rocks. Cleanup crew in the tank before the tusk were mostly left alone, but anything added after lived less than 10 seconds. I do have some small Strombus that come out only after the lights go out. He will eat them, but they are hard to find and multiply fast.

I am worried the Desjardini Sailfin Tang may outgrown my 270 gallon, but it is a 4' tank. This is a large active fish. No aggression adding him with the tusks (larger and in the tank over 2 years), both fish were very interested in eachother at first, but never fought. He is also fine with 3 much smaller yellow tangs also in the tank for 2 years.

Rangerbob86
11/29/2015, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the replies! I realize the Desjardini may outgrow the 180 same day, although its a 6' vs a 4', but I have a LFS that would be happy to have him when that day comes.

Dmorty217
11/29/2015, 09:31 PM
I got my Desjaradini 3.5 yrs ago as a 3/4" juv, he stopped growing at 7"

Genera
11/30/2015, 07:47 PM
Are you planning to add any smaller fish?

Rangerbob86
11/30/2015, 09:30 PM
Are you planning to add any smaller fish?

I wasn't planning on it....would you recommend that I do that?

slugmore
12/01/2015, 11:12 AM
Butterfly fish are kind of finicky eaters, so keep that in mind. Longnose will eat frozen mysis but you might not have luck with pellets. I also wouldn't trust them if you plan to add clams.

I have an Atlantic longnose in my 90 who killed my clam, and also ate most of the life off the live rock (feather dusters, etc). If you don't mind that it's an otherwise great fish and safe with LPS.