PDA

View Full Version : skimmer pump failed

Jjv123
11/30/2015, 09:04 AM
hello,

I have been running an sca-301, for about 4 months. The skimmer has been awesome till yesterday. The pump stopped working altogether. I tore the pump down and cleaned it up nice. I plugged it in and submerged the pump, it sounded like a cement mixer. I am assuming it is shot. I ordered a replacement pump, but it will be a week till it gets here. What are my risks for going skimmer less for a week? I plan to do a water change in a couple days to get me over the hump. Any other suggestions?

kfisc
11/30/2015, 09:17 AM
It's not likely your tank will suffer much without a skimmer for a few days. Also: Have you tried soaking the pump parts in vinegar? It almost sounds to me like a calcium deposit build up that's interfering with the movement.

C.Eymann
11/30/2015, 09:23 AM
You should be fine, does the display have good surface agitation? Main thing to bve concerned with is O2 levels, if its really a worry you could place an airstone in the sump until the new pump arrives.

Wasn't really familiar with this skimmer till I googled it, its a "ebay skimmer". The design looks good, but Im sure its not exactly using quality pumps, maybe grab another to have on hand as a spare?? or see if you can adapt it to fit a nice pump like a sicce or askoll to it??
Just a thought

Sk8r
11/30/2015, 09:26 AM
Unless you have sps coral or incredibly messy fish, a week with no skimming will not hurt a thing.

55mixreef8236
11/30/2015, 09:32 AM
My skimmer pump quit on me about a year ago. It had broke a washer on the impeller rod and had gotten jammed. When i put it back together it wouldn't move. After messing with it for a while i realized the rod wasn't all the way back in the little gasket that it sticks in and it wasn't lined up right. It was really touchy but eventually it started working again and has been good ever sense.

Jjv123
11/30/2015, 10:07 AM
Thanks for all the input.. I will try soaking in vinegar.. I also researched adapting a new pump, but no luck.. Anyone out there modify theirs?