PDA

View Full Version : Dosing LaCl3(Lanthanum Chloride) directly into skimmer?

alexx2208
11/30/2015, 01:10 PM
Hey guys

I've been looking at options on keeping the lanthanum precipitate out of the water column ASAP, to keep the tangs happy.

I was at a LFS in Salt Lake City, where the owner described his dosing schedule, which involved a doser directly dosing dilutes LaCl3 into the skimmer body. I was unable to view the dosing actually occur, but I think he said he had put a hard airline into the venture intake, and it dosed right before the pump.

Now, I do not believe that this would clog the pump, but I'm more worried about this not actually helping remove the precipitate before it is released into the water column, which after only some filter floss, goes straight into the DT.

I do have 10 micron filter socks, but I would prefer not to use them if possible.

If anyone has done this before, I would appreciate some insight into how it helper or affected your system.

Thanks
Alex

tmz
11/30/2015, 02:15 PM
Some preciptant would likely be pushed out with the skimate.Some might clog the venturi over time and some would just dump out with the water exiting the skimmer , IMO. I've used lanthanum, dosed slowly with heavy prefiltering.