PDA

View Full Version : Is a helfrichi firefish really worth the price?

Bent
11/30/2015, 06:27 PM
I've eyeballed these guys for a long time, but I've just never had the guts to pull the trigger on one.

Are they really that cool? I've always went for the purple when I wanted something other than a red. Are they much prettier than the purples?

kmbyrnes
11/30/2015, 06:53 PM
If you like the fish, I say get one. After all, why are we doing this if not to have something we find beautiful to look at?
My wife and I spend hours looking at fish online. Then I research the ones we want and see if they will fit somewhere.
We don't mind spending money for something that makes looking at the tanks more enjoyable to watch.

snorvich
11/30/2015, 07:05 PM
They are cool; price is indicative of capture difficulty rather than rarity.

davocean
11/30/2015, 07:11 PM
They are awesome, and for the 12 hours I had mine very worth it, however both mine jumped the first night, and that was through 1/4" mesh top that was completely sealed inside perimeter of tank...

hogfanreefer
11/30/2015, 07:17 PM
I actually like the N. exquisita even better and they are half the price of the helfrichi. Like Dave said they are about the worse jumpers I've ever kept.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1636+3483&pcatid=3483

SoloChromis
11/30/2015, 07:36 PM
Personally, I consider them to be one of the best looking saltwater fish available, let alone of the firefish. One of my local fish shops has several in and they've all been there a while and eating well, but my tank isn't covered yet, so I'm not ready to pull the trigger. However, I have heard many people claiming to have worse luck with the Helfrich's than they have with other species, so we'll see how it goes. I've attempted keeping several firefish (N. magnifica) over the years and they've never stuck around for more than a couple weeks beofore vanishing into thin air, which is another reason I'm hesitating.

gone fishin
11/30/2015, 07:40 PM
They are a pretty fish but not for me. As someone else pointed out if you enjoy them then get one. After the holidays are over I am planning for a pair of Bellus angels, again not for everyone but I like them. Good luck

d2mini
11/30/2015, 07:43 PM
I'd rather have a $15 purple fire fish. ;)

billdogg
11/30/2015, 07:56 PM
I pulled the trigger on one about 6 months ago. After a month in QT I put it in the DT. It hid for another month. The flame angel didn't help much with that. It's now out as soon as the lights come on and is out and about till the lights go out. One of my all time favorites.

e048
11/30/2015, 08:02 PM
I used to have a pair in my 90 before i went to out of the country and had it crash on me

Bought them as purple firefish from a stupid petco employee lulz

They never jumped or even tried it heck I lost a long nose hawkfish and a coral beauty to jumping but never those two...

Bent
12/01/2015, 06:06 AM
Not planning on getting one any time soon as I already have a N. Mag and I dont want to risk another species. Just curious as to other peoples experiences.

Tweaked
12/01/2015, 06:22 AM
I've picked them up for $40 each here in CT. I was told the mark up is just really high and got them for near or at cost. Great fish and colors IMO

toothybugs
12/01/2015, 07:02 AM
Helfrichis are one of my favorite fish. I am in a pinch while the wifey is in school for the next 6 months but I have every intention of putting one in my 75 after the upgrade. I had one once before and though you do need a screen, they are amazingly colorful little fish.

So yes.

jaybfresh
12/01/2015, 07:26 AM
I was able to snag one for $45 during a local black Friday sale, before that I had been on the fence.

However, I wouldn't spend $5 on a damsel. Cost is subjective.

sde1500
12/01/2015, 09:32 AM
Bought them as purple firefish from a stupid petco employee lulz

Just because the employee isn't educated properly by the employer about saltwater fish, doesn't make them stupid. Sorry that bothered me.

On topic, IDK they look cool, but don't think they look cool enough to be 4x more expensive than purple firefish.

d2mini
12/01/2015, 09:57 AM
I look at it like this... if I had no idea what the prices were on the different fish, would the helfrichis be that much more appealing than the purple? IMHO, no. But that's just me.
It's just that sometimes, knowing the price going in makes the desire that much stronger.

jaybfresh
12/01/2015, 10:10 AM
I look at it like this... if I had no idea what the prices were on the different fish, would the helfrichis be that much more appealing than the purple? IMHO, no. But that's just me.
It's just that sometimes, knowing the price going in makes the desire that much stronger.

I would say rarity has more impact than price to drive the desire, though they go hand in hand

drauka99
12/01/2015, 10:21 AM
I've always been happy with a plain firefish or a purple firefish. I like that is seem to have gotten lucky with a pair of firefish this time that share a burrow, don't hide and seem to get along well.

davocean
12/01/2015, 10:32 AM
Purple firefish are an ok alternative, but the helfrichi's are much prettier in person, and they don't have that grumpy face purple firefish have.
My case of having both jump through 1/4 net is probably to the extreme of their jumping capability, but it was enough for me to not rush out and get another pair.
I believe the purple firefish are a little harder to pair up as well

Bent
12/01/2015, 10:47 AM
Purple firefish are an ok alternative, but the helfrichi's are much prettier in person, and they don't have that grumpy face purple firefish have.
My case of having both jump through 1/4 net is probably to the extreme of their jumping capability, but it was enough for me to not rush out and get another pair.
I believe the purple firefish are a little harder to pair up as well

I've never seen a helfrichi in person.

davocean
12/01/2015, 10:50 AM
I think the colors are a little more glowy and they have a more peaceful look

Bent
12/01/2015, 10:52 AM
I think the colors are a little more glowy and they have a more peaceful look

Maybe I'll sell my red and try to grab one. I dunno, I like my red. He has a super long dorsal and he's very comfortable. Id hate to do that to him.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/Tackett1980/52C588E7-45AE-4F9A-B25E-043B990150C8_3.jpg

d2mini
12/01/2015, 10:54 AM
I would say rarity has more impact than price to drive the desire, though they go hand in hand

Same thing, and yes it goes hand in hand. If you walked into the store and saw the fish without knowing how rare or common, would the helfrichi be that much more desirable than the purple? That's all I'm saying. If it is, then by all means go for it.
It's like black tangs or gem tangs... i think there are much prettier and cheaper ones available. How rare it is makes no difference to me.

davocean
12/01/2015, 10:58 AM
I actually could care less about the rarity as well, I mean my green chromis are still one of my favs.
I actually have a red firefish too, and I like the look of it more than a purple firefish.
The purples always have that angry looking eyebrow line, they look grumpy to me, like they want to ask me what I'm staring at or something!lol

Bent
12/01/2015, 11:03 AM
I actually could care less about the rarity as well, I mean my green chromis are still one of my favs.
I actually have a red firefish too, and I like the look of it more than a purple firefish.
The purples always have that angry looking eyebrow line, they look grumpy to me, like they want to ask me what I'm staring at or something!lol

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/9900000/What-are-you-looking-at-animal-humor-9994815-320-294.jpg

davocean
12/01/2015, 11:16 AM
Doesn't he look grumpy to you?!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e141/mermail/sub/purp_zpskzl2fhbj.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/mermail/media/sub/purp_zpskzl2fhbj.jpg.html)

d2mini
12/01/2015, 11:23 AM
I love the ticked off look on his face. lol :D

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/511d104a69bedd1f7c000012/grumpy-cat-definitely-did-not-make-100-million.jpg

davocean
12/01/2015, 11:25 AM
Lol, my thoughts exactly, the grumpy cat of the fish world!

Bent
12/01/2015, 11:26 AM
Lol he does look like grumpy cat.

jadoiron1
12/01/2015, 09:38 PM
lliverock

e048
12/11/2015, 03:16 PM
Bengaiis are the kings of the grumpy face

firemountain
12/11/2015, 07:28 PM
With having a 65g tank...I knew I couldn't keep too many fish. I was selective and and wanted stunning fish. When I looked around abt the dart fish ...the Helfrichi was the obvious choice for me. This fish is always out and about...and likes to surf near the power heads.