PDA

View Full Version : Another "Algae ID" please thread

cameron808
11/30/2015, 06:39 PM
I need an Algae ID please.
Tank is about three months old with a damsel, a starry blenny, 8 turbos and a couple colony's of zoas.
75 gallons
Penguin HOB filter with regular filters and 2 media filters ( 1 with carbon, 1 with Seachem PhosGuard)
Reef Octopus Classic 2000 HOB Protein Skimmer
2 165 watt LED Black Boxes
0 nitrates

This stuff looks reddish/brown and stringy. The strings so far have reached about 6 inches in length. Grows very quickly. Skimmer fills with red/brown liquid within 24 hours.
LFS guy said maybe Dinoflagellate....I really hope not.
Below is a video I took. Unfortunately it was after I cleaned the major stuff off, but shoud still provide an accurate representation....just imaging it 10 times worse.
https://youtu.be/Gx3B27bstuY

Bogue Chitto
11/30/2015, 08:33 PM
Looks like hair algae to me, maybe turning into cynabar.

Sk8r
11/30/2015, 08:47 PM
Hair with some red stringy cyanobacteria blowing in the breeze. You have a phosphate overload, which needs to be corrected (GFO reactor) and probably just lowering both phosphates and nitrates will help do in the cyano. Most tanks get it now and again and it often goes away as mysteriously as it came, but if it doesn't, turning your tank lights off for 3 days (blues only on the 4th day if you have corals) will discourage it if you have a decent skimmer at work. It can take a few months (doing this once a month) to cure a really nasty case of it and this is not near nasty.