PDA

View Full Version : Weird white spot on my yellow tang

reneerob03
11/30/2015, 10:54 PM
I have a yellow tang and a baby blue regal tang both in quarantine before we add them to our main display tank. Have had the yellow tang for a month and the blue tang for 1.5 weeks. Have been treating with cupramine prophylactically with no obvious ich noticed so far. Yellow tang has had a white spot on its tail fin for almost 3 weeks now which has not changed in appearance and doesn't see to bother him. Any ideas what this could be??

ThRoewer
11/30/2015, 11:11 PM
Lymphocystis, likely triggered by the copper treatment.

hotelbravo
11/30/2015, 11:13 PM
Could be his scalpel they are white sharp bones protruding from the tailfin its what they use to protect themselves from predators or just defend territory.

reneerob03
11/30/2015, 11:23 PM
Here is a pic

hotelbravo
12/01/2015, 01:19 AM
please clarify. i circled two spots on his tail if its the red circle then it is the tangs scalpel and every single yellow tang in existence has that.
if its the purple circle then we need a closer picture and more focused to tell what it is.

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag85/hotelbravo251/tang%20guy_zpsqniusmqu.jpg (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/hotelbravo251/media/tang%20guy_zpsqniusmqu.jpg.html)

garra671
12/01/2015, 01:22 AM
both of those are spines. he should have them on both sides of his tail in more or less the exact same location. they use it for defense, they swing their tail at the other fish attacking them. (its sharp like a scalpal so be careful)

TangingOut
12/01/2015, 01:29 AM
both of those are spines. he should have them on both sides of his tail in more or less the exact same location. they use it for defense, they swing their tail at the other fish attacking them. (its sharp like a scalpal so be careful)

Really? Even the one circled in purple?

I think it's obvious the OP is talking about the one circled in purple to which I have no idea and will let someone more experienced chime in.

reneerob03
12/01/2015, 08:29 AM
It's the one circled in purple, I don't think it's his spine however because it wasn't there when I bought him, showed up about a week later and it's only on one side. I don't know if I can get a closer picture but I will try. It looks like an ich speck but slightly larger and as I said he's had it for about 3 weeks so if it was ich it would have fallen off by now. Its not bothering him but still would really like to figure out what it is

scooter31707
12/01/2015, 09:49 AM
Maybe flukes??

billdogg
12/01/2015, 02:12 PM
If it has been there and not moved or spread, it is almost certainly Lymphocyctis. Just leave it be. It will cause no distress, is not contagious, and willl eventually fall off on it's own.