PDA

View Full Version : New Mandarin Dragonet

nate34g
12/01/2015, 06:03 PM
Hello,

I am fairly new to the ins and outs of the salt water tank life. In lack of better words, I have jumped in head first. I have had some ups and downs which has shortened my learning curve significantly. That being said, I am open to all new knowledge, advice, and tips regarding the hobby. My biggest flaw is lack of patience and over analizing which brings me to my question.
I have a 5 month 30 gal reef/fish tank going strong. I have multiple corals that are doing amazing. Just shy of 4 weeks ago I noticed my hawkfish with the dreaded Ich. I immediately put all fish in a 10 gal QT tank and started treating with Ich-X. Daily 20% water changes and giving medication only after water change each night in the appropriate amount. 2 of my clowns didn't make it but my 6-line and hawkfish are still going strong. I have discontinued treatment and both fish are doing great.
meanwhile, i had set up a second QT tank for a new Mandarin dragonet i just purchased 3 days ago. I also bought copepods to add to the QT tank as i try to train him to eat frozen. However, I am going to be out of town this weekend and I fear he will go hungry as I don't see many copepods left in his tank. They are all over my glass in the DT. Which leads me to my question. Is it too soon to add him to my DT? I read that mandarins are acceptable to Ich but are at a lower risk. Would I have to wait another 4 weeks before adding my hawkfish and 6-line to DT if i put the mandarin in now? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

gone fishin
12/01/2015, 06:27 PM
Welcome to the forum.

In regards to your ich situation IMO the ich-x is not going to do anything for you. The DT needs to stay fishless for 72 days and the fish need to be treated with the Tank transfer method (TTM), copper or hyposalinity in the QT.

Do yourself a favor and return the dragonet now. Your tank is not big enough to keep a mandarin. A mandarin eats a pod about every 5 seconds while they are awake. If given the chance most will already eat frozen but need the pods to live. Another problem is the six line, they also eat pods. Any fish that eats pods will outcompete the mandarin for the food source. Mandarins are very slow methodical feeders. Good luck just my 2 cents.

nate34g
12/01/2015, 09:37 PM
Would you say a 55 gal would be large enough to house both of them?

CStrickland
12/01/2015, 09:51 PM
This might be helpful
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2495138

azcrazy
12/01/2015, 09:54 PM
Sadly to say no, is not only the tank size is the how mature your tank is

MondoBongo
12/02/2015, 08:36 AM
Would you say a 55 gal would be large enough to house both of them?

no.

sixlines are frankly awful fish, for a lot of reasons, but in combination with any type of dragonet you need to worry about both competition for food, and aggression, since they both tend to consume the same niche in the food web.

additionally the 30 gallon tank is not large enough for a dragonet on its own, especially given the fact that it has only been running for 5 months.

"I am going to be out of town this weekend and I fear he will go hungry as I don't see many copepods left in his tank"

and you have hit on the precise problem of attempting to overcome tank size recommendations for dragonets and other obligate feeders. if you're not there to tend to them constantly, or you have a disruption in your food supply chain, they die.