PDA

View Full Version : Tank Drilling/Overflows

Beldarr
12/02/2015, 06:58 AM
So I am going to drill a new tank I just bought. (New to me but Used)

After 7 months in the Hobby I feel confident in going bigger so I got me a great deal on a 150 gallon tank.

I am planning on drilling 2 holes in the back glass for overflows and one in the middle for the return.

My question is, why do I have to do a herbie or whatever other kind of overflow? Can I not just put to one inch holes in the tank near the top on opposite sides, surround it with a overflow box, and allow the water to just go straight out the hole and down the drain?

laga77
12/02/2015, 07:26 AM
You can do it that way but it will be very noisy. Herbie and beananimal overflows are designed to be quiet.

Rubasu
12/02/2015, 07:52 AM
I'm thinking about drilling my 40b since I will have to move it when I get new carpet in that room anyway... laga - What is the noisy part? The water going into the hole, or the water splashing into the sump? My sump will be down about 4ft in the basement area.

MeghanisradxD
12/02/2015, 01:24 PM
The water going into the hole can be noisy. Depending on your return pump, it will draw air in and cause a very loud gurgling sound. It can be avoided by adding a ball valve to the return pump and adjusting the flow. I'm no expert, so don't listen to me for details, but I believe the herbie and bean animal utilize a siphon down to the sump and have a backup drain should the siphon ever break.

Breadman03
12/02/2015, 02:19 PM
I just drilled a 150 for BeanAnimal drains and installed a coast to coast overflow. I'm telling you, if you're drilling a tank, go all the way. The only way I hear water moving is when a snail is cleaning the back side of the overflow and the 3 drains provide for failsafes in case of clogs.

chimmike
12/02/2015, 02:32 PM
I just drilled a 150 for BeanAnimal drains and installed a coast to coast overflow. I'm telling you, if you're drilling a tank, go all the way. The only way I hear water moving is when a snail is cleaning the back side of the overflow and the 3 drains provide for failsafes in case of clogs.

^^^^^ X1000000000

Do it right the first time or regret it from them onward.