PDA

View Full Version : Silicates - DI Resin Only

apache73
12/02/2015, 09:33 AM
Hello All,

I am former reefer turned freshwater planted tank enthusiast.

I have issues with high silicates in my tap water. I am considering DIYing a filter assembly with one housing equipped with a silicate DI filter to use when I am in the re-filling phase of my weekly water changes.

My question is how feasible is it to have a one stage DI resin filter sans a RO mechanism and pre-sediment filters? Can the resin (Silicabuster, etc.) be effective enough without pre-filtration means? I don't want to go full blown RO/DI as it's time consuming and adds a lot to the weekly work flow.

At the same time, I need some method to reduce the level of silicates coming from the tap without doing Phosguard or making large quantities of RO/DI water.

Thanks for the insight(s)!
G

Opus123
12/02/2015, 10:39 AM
It will work but the DI resin will become exhausted very quickly since it will be absorbing a lot of other things along with the silicates. Based on a formula I've seen to estimate the life of an average DI cartridge, if your tap water has a tds of 200 then your DI cartridge will make around 23 gallons before it is exhausted. If your tds is 2 then the same cartridge would make 2200 gallons.

apache73
12/03/2015, 09:34 AM
It will work but the DI resin will become exhausted very quickly since it will be absorbing a lot of other things along with the silicates. Based on a formula I've seen to estimate the life of an average DI cartridge, if your tap water has a tds of 200 then your DI cartridge will make around 23 gallons before it is exhausted. If your tds is 2 then the same cartridge would make 2200 gallons.

Thanks for the reply.

I am thinking of going with dual filter housings. Can you suggest a pre-filter (carbon, etc.) that would precede the silicate filter (so as to extend the life of the silicate removal resin)?

G

Opus123
12/03/2015, 09:45 AM
The prefilter will not help with tds. The RO membrane is what lowers the TDS. You would have to go RO to make use of the silicate DI filter. Unless you can find a cartridge that only absorbs silicate I think RO is going to be your only option.

apache73
12/03/2015, 09:57 AM
Opus,

You mention a calculator that mentioned gallons per regeneration via TDS.

I am getting 72ppm TDS with two separate meters with my tap water. I am curious what my rough estimate would be for gallons per re-charge.

Thanks!

Opus123
12/03/2015, 11:22 AM
At 72ppm you would get around 62 gallons out of the cartridge.

ReeferAl
12/04/2015, 12:33 PM
Just FYI, I believe GFO binds silicates in addition to phosphates. You might check the chemistry forum to confirm. A GFO filter might be sufficient without RO or DI.

Allen