PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine cycling help

MitchSutherland
12/02/2015, 07:57 PM
Hi I had to set up an emergency quarantine for some fish. It's a simple 55 gallon with 6 fish. I have live rock rubble in a canister filter just trying to help with ammonia. Ammonia is still climbing. And I was wondering if Dosing prime a week or two would effect my cycle on this quarantine? Thanks!

MitchSutherland
12/02/2015, 08:02 PM
This isn't a tank that needs to be treated just for safe observation.

MitchSutherland
12/03/2015, 01:09 PM
Anyone?

gone fishin
12/03/2015, 02:43 PM
I am not certain if the prime will hinder your cycle or not. The prime changes the form of the ammonia and I don't know if the bacteria can still utilize it or not. Maybe try asking in the reef chemistry forum. wish I could be of more help.

m0nkie
12/03/2015, 02:48 PM
unless your fish are in the QT already, I would dose bacteria instead of Prime. stuff like Dr Tims or Bio Spira really helps cycle those QT instantly..

davehead86
12/03/2015, 06:45 PM
There should be nothing in your QT except PVC and water and heater and powerhead. So there is nothing for the bacteria to live on anyway. You have to be dilligent with water changes. When I ran my QT i didnt want to be THAT dilligent so I have a filter pad in my DT for a week or two and then pulled it and put it in the QT. Anything your treating will die in the filter pad too, but the bacteria will stick around (unless of course your treatment kills bacteria).

MitchSutherland
12/03/2015, 06:59 PM
I am not treating in the tank. Just observation before TTM, and prazi. Tried Doctor tims. Haven't had luck yet. It was new, and not expired as well. I have live rock rubble in the canister filter, and pic in the tank itself.