PDA

View Full Version : Who is breeding Angelfish?

ab5ebdxer
12/02/2015, 09:00 PM
I am just getting started with this idea of attempting to breed angels. I am wondering about breeding tank sizes.

Thanks,

Mike

Dmorty217
12/02/2015, 10:38 PM
You need a tall tank of 30" or more, 48" is better for a spawning rise to occur. I'm sure you have heard of Karen Brittain?

ab5ebdxer
12/02/2015, 10:42 PM
I have not heard of Karen, I have been doing some research but have not run across her yet. Thanks for the info on the tank size. I have read about needing a tall tank trying to figure out the configuration and plan the needed space.

Lrood
12/09/2015, 08:42 AM
I've been working with coral beauties for a while. Getting centropyge angels to spawn is not the hard part. I have a trio in a 125 gallon reef tank, 24" tall. First and second foods is probably the biggest challenge. So far I've only kept larvae alive for 3-4 days. It's a great project though, keeps me busy!

ab5ebdxer
12/09/2015, 10:41 AM
What first food are you using? I did find the following blog to very interesting.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/stream/circles/p14ca7c4089683555

Lrood
12/13/2015, 08:41 AM
Right now I'm only trying parvocalanus. I really don't think I even reached the starvation point from the larvae yet.

reefwiser
12/13/2015, 09:03 AM
http://fromfisheggstofry.blogspot.com/

Karen is the Angelfish breeder bar none.

FlameAngelfish
01/09/2016, 11:15 AM
*cough*
Honestly (but by no means at all to discourage you) I think you should drop breeding attempts when it gets too out-of-logical-thinking. But actually, it's pretty fun to try and, hey, what are the odds; you may even succeed in seeing baby Centropyge angelfish squirting around your aquarium!
Good Luck,
FlameAngelfish:fish1:
P.S.
Looking for a good first food? Use Tisbe biminiensis with AlgaGen Green Water so your babies will see the copepods better. Highly nutritious. Once they eat well introduce them to phytoplankton and seaweed as well. (Greens are a staple part of angelfish diet.)
P.P.S.
Try flame angelfish; they're way easier to breed and the results are very, VERY rewarding.