PDA

View Full Version : Help with a long tentacle anemone.

loveaddressbox
12/03/2015, 02:38 AM
Hello.
I got an anemone as a gift, but my tank is somewhat new, so I give it away to someone that seem good, now I got it back... Because the anemone eat a fish and the guy was upset and give it back to me.

The first day I put it between rocks and add sand to the bottom
https://40.media.tumblr.com/2c8e014ab4f92811987af01eb537d445/tumblr_nyrwylUP3R1t4b6g2o2_540.png

The foot on the second day was totally under the sand.

But I was cleaning the glass and feeding everyone (I even give the anemone a small piece of shrimp that can be seen on the picture)

https://36.media.tumblr.com/569dcc0187858f58c28b799826e5b0fe/tumblr_nyrwylUP3R1t4b6g2o1_1280.png

But you see now she move away and is like the first day I got it... Just looks smaller...

What is going on?
Is just upset because I move the filter?
Should I put it back where it was?

SG 1.023

A couple of days ago all values was on 0 except this time NO2 was a bit leaning to the next bar on the test... But I forget the exact number... Sorry.

Temperature is 75F

I'm using cycles bacteria 5ML a day Calcium and Phytoplankton from Brightwell Aquatics or something like that... 15 Drops each Sunday.

Tank is 30 gallons:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2533058
Thanks in advance.

Dkuhlmann
12/03/2015, 04:05 AM
First of all your tank is too new and you don't have enough experience in having a tank to keep an anemone, we have been through this about a month ago. YOU need to wait at least 6 months before you get an anemone.

Your water parameters are not correct to keep an anemone and they are very unstable both of which will end up killing it. That said the sg is too low needs to be 1.025-1.026, Temp while isn't terrible should be more like 78-80. Why are you dosing bottle bacteria and calcium?

I've tried to help you both in the forums and also in PMs but you continue to not even begin to do what you need to have a healthy tank. You need to let that tank mature before getting corals and anemones and most important of all you need to learn and be successful at keeping the tank parameters STABLE

Now I'm sad and frustrated and getting to the point where I give up, I do wish your tank well and hopefully you wake up as to what you need to do to help your animals.

Swanwillow
12/03/2015, 06:42 AM
Well, since one person has apparently quit on you, I'll take a shot.

Stop dosing stuff. If you can't test for it, don't dose it. :D

It looks like your 'live rock' is dead rock? Was it dry when it was put in the tank?

You'll need to get some power heads in there to move more water. And just take off your hob filter. Its for freshwater systems, not saltwater.

In saltwater our #1 method of filtration is the bacteria in the live rock. If the rock was fully cured live rock, you'll be 'okay'. That said, you need about double or triple what you already have. Which is going to cause another (hopefully mini) cycle. Live rock should look like this: (random page coming up. I've never ordered from them, nor do I endorse them) http://www.aquariumcreationsonline.net/saltwater_aquarium_liverock.html

Why am I going over alllllll that? Because you need all that to keep the anemone alive.

Is there a fish store near you you can sell the 'nem back to? It is on the sandbed because its not happy. If you can't return it or give it away to someone until you have better filtration (live rock AND a skimmer) it will die. Sorry.

Dkuhlmann
12/03/2015, 07:46 AM
Swanwillow we've already been through all of that many times, so you're posting nothing new. If you look at his profile you can find the previous threads if you wish to try and help. Who knows maybe this time you can get through to him. I'm just tired of beating my head against the wall and that is exactly what it feels like :lmao:

A1t2o
12/03/2015, 08:47 AM
You definitely need more live rock. What was the rule? 1.5-2lbs per gallon? That is your filtration and it will keep your ammonia at 0, nitrites at 0 and keep it stable at that value. It also gives your fish and anemone places to hide.

Water movement means oxygen, get power heads and have no dead spots.

What light do you have? You need very good lighting to sustain a anemone. Standard aquarium lighting for fish only systems will kill it. You need at least 4 bulb T5, metal halide, or high powered LEDs. I would stay away from LEDs as a noob, since they are tricky to dial in, and it is hard to tell if they are powerful enough without experience.

Make sure you have test kits for all the parameters and test them, if you don't have them all, then go to a store and get your water tested for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, Phosphates, PH, Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium. Post the results here and we can tell you is something is off. Run all your tests before changing anything, since it can throw off your results if you add anything at all.

You also need some method to remove nutrients from the system. Like a skimmer, macro algae, water changes, or other options. If you are doing water changes only then you will need to be doing large water changes, about 25%, every week or two. Make sure you are mixing the salt and water several hours before hand and getting the new water up to the same temperature as the tank. To do otherwise is a shock to the system.

Swanwillow
12/03/2015, 11:10 AM
I know Dkulmann, I did look. I still feel bad though. I hate giving up.

davocean
12/03/2015, 12:27 PM
Sometimes the best thing to do is rehome these things until you are really ready, no advice can just make your tank suddenly ok, and time is a factor in both keeping it alive, and establishing your tank properly

Dkuhlmann
12/03/2015, 03:46 PM
I hate giving up too but I've tried with many PM's as well as in the threads to help him and he keeps doing the same thing.

Dave if you go back and read the OP you will see that he got it back from a guy that he I don't remember if he traded it or just gave it to him but anyway he got it back. So this is the second time getting this anemone.

This tank is too new and the OP hasn't got the test kits nor learned how to keep a tank stable so it's a bad place for both anemone's and corals. Also has been putting way too many fish in that need larger tank as well. I've asked him many times to come here to ask if he can add something before doing it. Still nada and only comes back with problems after the fact. :headwally::headwally::headwally::headwally:

davocean
12/03/2015, 04:41 PM
Yeah I understand and recognize Dkuhlmann as someone that is generally very helpful and gives pretty good advice, and I also understand that sometimes people will post wherever they can until they get the answer they "wish" to hear, and that can be very frustrating for exp peeps that just want to give sound advice.
Sometimes the magic answer to someones question is just not going to happen, and we should place the animals needs before our wishes.

seamonster124
12/03/2015, 04:51 PM
Sorry for your loss

loveaddressbox
12/14/2015, 01:44 AM
Hello guys!
The anemone is perfectly fine on someone else house, I find a guy that wants to keep it...
I dislike that he feeds their anemones live fish, but well... He promised to consider to stop doing that.

I'd love to get some advice and help, if someone wants to.

Everything in the tank now is doing good! The corals! They are very happy!
The Sarcophyton is acctually growing and has his polyps open, that's good right?

loveaddressbox
12/14/2015, 01:48 AM
Well, since one person has apparently quit on you, I'll take a shot.

Stop dosing stuff. If you can't test for it, don't dose it. :D

It looks like your 'live rock' is dead rock? Was it dry when it was put in the tank?

You'll need to get some power heads in there to move more water. And just take off your hob filter. Its for freshwater systems, not saltwater.

In saltwater our #1 method of filtration is the bacteria in the live rock. If the rock was fully cured live rock, you'll be 'okay'. That said, you need about double or triple what you already have. Which is going to cause another (hopefully mini) cycle. Live rock should look like this: (random page coming up. I've never ordered from them, nor do I endorse them) http://www.aquariumcreationsonline.net/saltwater_aquarium_liverock.html

Why am I going over alllllll that? Because you need all that to keep the anemone alive.

Is there a fish store near you you can sell the 'nem back to? It is on the sandbed because its not happy. If you can't return it or give it away to someone until you have better filtration (live rock AND a skimmer) it will die. Sorry.

I buy the rock as live rock, but dunno, it was on tanks with saltwater and light and living beings and all.
I buy it from a local guy since he has them with fish I thought it would be better, just to avoid the possibility that it had some fish eating pest.
He is just a random guy on a local page, but well, I pay him for more rock and hasn't call... So maybe is not a good guy after all...

loveaddressbox
12/14/2015, 01:50 AM
Sorry for your loss

No need to D:

The anemone is doing fine!

I'll post a pic, but the guy didn't let me take pics... I really wanted a pic of an... Arrow crab? He was so cool lol